Cornell Chicken

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Bob S

Cornell Chicken

Post by Bob S »

Many years ago, in upstate New York there was a young food scientist at Cornell University who was tasked with increasing the market for chicken. He went on to invent the chicken finger as we know it, but that is another story. From our perspective, a far more important innovation is his recipe for what has come to be known as "Cornell Chicken." Cornell Chicken is barbecued chicken which has been marinated in a special marinade designed to cause the skin to achieve maximum crispiness when the chicken is barbecued. Done correctly, it results in a very tasty piece of barbecue. Here is the recipe:

Cornell Chicken
Ingredients:
2 cups vinegar
1 cup oil
1 egg
3 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
Pepper to taste
2 frying chickens cut up into pieces
Place the first six ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Reserve 1 cup of marinade. Place the chicken in a deep dish and pour the remaining marinade over it. It is a good idea to prick the chicken skin all over to allow the marinade to penetrate, although not strictly necessary. Make sure all the pieces are well coated. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Grill the chicken until completely done, basting frequently with the reserved marinade during the first 30 minutes of cooking. As a variation, I'll sometimes add hot sauce to the marinade to give it a little extra kick. You can also sauce the chicken with your favorite barbecue sauce the last ten minutes before you take it off the grill, but I prefer it sans sauce.

Enjoy,
Bob S
mb403

Post by mb403 »

Sounds alright.. will have to give this a go next time

OCAU.COM & AUSSIEPITMASTERS Forum Member
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Cornell Chicken

Post by Davo »

Another version of this original is Roadside Chicken but with less salt. The oil allows the chicken to be licked by the flames as the remaining marinate is basted.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Here is the lower salt version on the TVWBB forum called Roadside Chicken written by Bryan S.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?33874-Roadside-Chicken
Out of respect for Bryan and the forum I will never cope and paste other people's recipes...so you'll be able to read the link.
cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Davo wrote:Here is the lower salt version on the TVWBB forum called Roadside Chicken written by Bryan S.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?33874-Roadside-Chicken
Out of respect for Bryan and the forum I will never cope and paste other people's recipes...so you'll be able to read the link.
cheers

Davo
Davo, thanks, I appreciate the link. That's a good looking recipe. I think when I make it, I'll add in an egg to get it to emulsify, and maybe some sriracha for a little extra heat. I think the garlic powder, onion powder and celery salt will add some depth of flavor and the worcestershire sauce will give it some extra umami, so all positive additions.
Bob S