First roast chooks in weber

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Brewerbbqer

Post by Brewerbbqer »

Doing my first roast chooks in the weber today. I've brined them overnight and they are drying in the fridge now. Going simple, just going to rub with salt, I may add butter under the skin, as I usually do this. And some lemon juice before I put them in. 2 full baskets and I'll add some aprium chunks for a bit of smoky goodness. We love roast chicken so I have high hopes. Should be done in 90, so I'll add the veg straight from the start. Just over an hour was perfect for the veg last time I did a roast
Gumb

Re: First roast chooks in weber

Post by Gumb »

sounds like you have it covered. I would suggest two thin strips of foil placed on the grill and running down each side of the chicken to help shield the bottom edges from too much direct heat.
Brewerbbqer

Post by Brewerbbqer »

Could I put the chooks in a foil tray?
Brewerbbqer

Post by Brewerbbqer »

Before
Brewerbbqer

Post by Brewerbbqer »

After:)
Muppet

Post by Muppet »

Couple of cute looking chicks there ;)
Baby steps...
Current Weaponry - Saffire Kamado, Treager Junior, Outdoorchef 57, Performer 46, 'Fooseball' Grill, Hibachi
Brewerbbqer

Post by Brewerbbqer »

Thanks mate, thought they were done but as I pulled a drummy off it looked a touch under so back in for 15mins more. Smells crazy good :)
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

They will be better if you ditch the foil tray. The heat and smokey goodness gets all around it that way.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

They will be better if you ditch the foil tray. The heat and smokey goodness gets all around it that way.
chriso

Post by chriso »

Whole chooks are really forgiving in the Weber, hard to mess up. Ditch the trays as Gumb said.
Personally I prefer the chooks butterflied and cooked in a raging hot Weber (they cook much faster too)
Bear

Post by Bear »

Gumb wrote:They will be better if you ditch the foil tray. The heat and smokey goodness gets all around it that way.
You can say that again
Charcoal: 22.5" Weber OTP 2000 | Wood Oven: Al Forno Piemonte R8 | Portable: Weber GA 2006
Gasser: NG WeberQ 320 | Rotisserie: Gaganis custom dual spit | Smoker: 18.5" WSM 2004
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Foil trays to me are like pineapple is to Urban Griller. :twisted:

Good for catching the drips when placed under the grill in a kamado but useles for cooking food in.
Last edited by Gumb on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

yep - lose the trays - but you can put them underneath between the charcoal to catch the juices if you want
Brewerbbqer

Post by Brewerbbqer »

Cheers guys, no foil next time :). Taste was ridiculously good and meat was super juicy!