advice please

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
plumby

advice please

Post by plumby »

Coles had big chooks on special for$3 a kg so I grabbed one, gonna do it tomorrow night, Ive got my rub sorted so here are my questions.
Breast side down right, to hold moisture in them?
Got a maverick thermometer so where does it go,into the middle of the breast?
Cooking it in my new WeberQ 2200.

Advice appreciated :)
Angryman65

Re: advice please

Post by Angryman65 »

Plumby

Do yourself a massive favour and have a look at the Captains Brined chicken thread. It makes for the best moist and juicy chicken you will ever eat. Brine it first, dry it and then rub or put some of the rub in the brine. It is really worth it.

I haven't use a Weber Q but always do my whole birds butterflied cooking with charcoal. Easy to split them and makes for a quicker cook. Probe into the thigh. Thicker meat there although the fattest part of the breast will suffice.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

I butterfly mine too, and in the weber q 220 they are really moist . I cook at about indirect on the trivet at 200c and take them out when the breast is at 62-65c. By butterflying, they cook evenly and it's much quicker.
plumby

Post by plumby »

Thanks guys appreciate it.
plumby

Post by plumby »

That would have to be the moistest breast meat Ive ever had, it was just perfect, next time Ill brine and see if I can beat it.
Maverick probe went into the thickest part of the thigh as Id read on another thread and about 1hr 20 it hit 80c so I wrapped it for 20 before calving up.

Left overs will go into a rissotto tonight with fresh season asparagus