Don't Wash Your Chicken

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Davo
Forum Administrator

Don't Wash Your Chicken

Post by Davo »

This was in My Yahoo News page today...thought I'd post up the link...so you guys can read it and make up your own mind about it.

https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food/ind ... erts-warn/

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

From a quick read of it, there's nothing wrong with the actual washing of the chicken, its the splashing and not cleaning up that may lead to problems. (Splashing water has the chicken nasties, which contaminates other foods, for those who can't read the link)
urbangriller

Re: Don't Wash Your Chicken

Post by urbangriller »

Yep, This rubbish pops it's head up every now and again....Anyone who cant wash a chicken without washing the ceiling (and cleaning up) deserves what they get!

What ever happened to Natural Attrition?? Our whole society seems geared to keeping people alive who are that stupid you don't want them breeding!...but we still have the Darwin Awards: http://www.darwinawards.com/

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

:lol:
urbangriller wrote:Anyone who cant wash a chicken without washing the ceiling
Geez, that made me laugh when I read it your way.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

The problem as I see it is that home kitchens have one or two sinks and a drying area.
Sure wash the chicken but make sure the area is clear of drying dishes and what not.
Then once the area is used, bleach it down and wipe it out,
They are referring to cross contamination and it's totally possible. One splash of blood on a drying plate not twelve inches away and you could be in all sorts .
It's and idiot public warning for sure but it has it's grounds. AND is so easy to overlook.
Answer is Clear the kitchen and sink area, Wash chook then spray and wipe area.
Done.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
gnol

Post by gnol »

^^^^^What Smokey Mick said ^^^^^
Buccaneer

Post by Buccaneer »

Yeah...riiiiight.
Dunno how you older buggers grew up but we caught, slaughtered, plucked and prepped our chooks, they got laid on the chopping board in the kitchen.
The stuffing got rolled on that board.
The vegetables got chopped on that board.

When we stopped with fresh and started buying supermarket chooks, same rules, same habits.
Red meat, pork ,chicken, offal, marron,whatever, all got dealt with ....followed by veges on the same board.
We LIVED cross contamination!
99% anti bacterial wasn't even available in hospitals.
My father had an accident and needed a huge stitch job on his elbow.
It was Sunday night, involved a chainsaw that was in need of an excorcism and the local doctor who was plastered.
Old doc stood on swaying pins and sewed the old man's arm up, with ash from his Craven A cigarettes dropping into the wound.

I cook my chooks so they get held at 55C for ten minutes, and that's with the benefit of knowledge from food science labs that have proven this is when a chicken is pasteurized.
That will take decades to reach the common ground of the unwashed masses.

Source your knowledge not from commonly held beliefs, but from sources that test stuff.

I'd love to get one single link to a case of salmonella from aerated contamination of the dishes in the dishrack.
I really would, it would change my world view!

And I don't want to hear anything about how I am sick all the time!! :lol:
2015 Smokin In The City-Boarshank Redemption
Buccaneer, BeachBums, Alimac23, SilentBob!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yeah I know it's one of those subjects that get rehashed in the media from time to time but I still believe its a good discussion topic as many a chook has come into our care to be prepped.

The humble chook ain't such an angel if it's not handled properly, I guess theres been enough food poisoning cases gone through the emergency depts of hospitals all round Australia to warrant such an article.
Of course it wasn't aimed at folks like us :P
Cheers
Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Unfortunalely we live in the "Content" age, media organisations publishing rubbish so they can have ever changing content!....no regard to what this kind of misinformation does in the brain of Mrs Joe Public!........or perhaps they are all working for the companies that make Hand Sanitiser!

Our Council requires we clean our benches with Caustic cleaner, then spray them with "Sanitiser" which you are not allowed to rinse off....it stays there and you prep the next batch of food on top of it!........So now the food has Sanitiser mixed into it!......What rediculous overkill, and a waste of nasty chemicals!

Chris
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

The worlds gone mad and beauracracy is hell bent on interfering with natural selection.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

:)

I think it went mad some time ago, we were just too busy to notice, something has to explain the daily lunacies :)

I'm not going to change my habits of washing chicken, apart from anything else don't know who was handling it before me :)

Cheers
stubacca

Post by stubacca »

It's still alright to choke the chicken... right?

In all seriousness, I take precautions and clean appropriately afterwards, but I will never NOT wash poultry. Thanks but no thanks.

It all comes down to common sense, which sadly ain't so common these days.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

If you wash the chicken fully submersed there wont be any splashing (unless its still kicking :shock: ).

Chris
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Well yeah, I all cut its head off, but it wuz still runnin' around, so I all drowned it : ???

Cheers
Romulus

Post by Romulus »

urbangriller wrote:What ever happened to Natural Attrition?? Our whole society seems geared to keeping people alive who are that stupid you don't want them breeding!

Image Image