Copycat KFC

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
chrisg

Copycat KFC

Post by chrisg »

:)

Over in What did you cook? Smoky Mick has posted some pressure fried chicken, a very, VERY dangerous form of cooking without the right equipment. Mick has posted what amounts to a NSFW postscript, dead right, as I mentioned in the thread a friend pretty much demolished his kitchen years ago using an appliance that has been withdrawn from the market for decades.

However, there is a safe way to approximate KFC if you have a pressure cooker, depends if you want to. I was forced to by my kids when we moved to an area with no KFC :)

You need chicken thighs, cut into halves as Mick did, or one of those packs of chicken pieces if you/they don't mind bones.

It's a bit of a production line so worth doing a decent batch.

First using a regular pressure cooker, a very useful implement, modern ones are very safe just follow the instructions, cook the chicken for about 6 minutes on high pressure in stock. Kids are usually not exactly food connoisseurs, a bit of experimentation revealed according to the tasting panel that Vegeta vegetable stock powder and a bit of mustard powder dissolved in water was the best mix.

Let the chicken pieces cool so you can handle them then do the egg wash and crumbs thing, double coated with some Tocomare seasoned salt added to the crumbs. Commercial bread crumbs were not deemed "authentic" but making really fine ones with stale bread in a processor is easy enough. There are lots of different seasonings you can add to the crumbs of course, Cajun is pretty good.

Lastly fry the pieces in very hot oil, rice bran of course, in a heavy cast iron fry pan with, and this is the important part, a heavy weight on the pieces. I used to use foil wrapped bricks, a friend happened to have a couple of old flat irons around so used those, another used some weights from his failed effort to get fit with barbells ( yeah, this was rather popular in our group for a few months :) )

You need to turn the pieces once to get them golden all over but they do not take long, the chicken already being cooked. (Just use oven gloves to lift the weight.)

To be a complete imitation fast food meal need fries, however you like them, according to my kids oven fries are the best, and a really thick gravy - you know - left overs can be used to hang wallpaper :)

(Mushy peas are optional.)

Sounds like a lot of work but it's not actually and being in a series of homes it quelled the rugrats and there was never any left over I guess it was worth it :)

My now adult kids are here end of month for one of their birthdays, writing this has decided me to adapt this to the 220Q and see how close that gets :)

Does it taste like KFC ? I guess so, but that's only a guess, not had KFC in twenty five years :)

Cheers
the dane

Post by the dane »

wow, that was a big read! sounds tasty anyway! !

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Golly

Re: Copycat KFC

Post by Golly »

i do a kfc (kettle fried chicken)
no frying involved
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!

TEAM WKC 1st chicken 4th beef 7th pork ribs 5th overall port macquarie march 2014
camdira

Post by camdira »

I made this for my nephews a few months ago, and they thought it was far superior to KFC. No pressure cooker required :D

http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/reci ... cue-sauce/
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Your nephews have taste :)

When growing up one of my kids was convinced McDonald's chicken nuggets and pancakes was a balanced staple diet :)

Cheers
Jlz

Post by Jlz »

Hmm sounds tasty!
titch

Post by titch »

Must try this.
I have never eaten KFC except their Fries
Cheers
Titch
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Well with nothing to compare to titch I think you'll enjoy it.

I did forget, no skin on the chicken, I tried with the kids but the Colonel always skinned his so.... the cat loved it :)

Cheers
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Golly wrote:i do a kfc (kettle fried chicken)
no frying involved
In the Lunch Bar we do KFC (Kirsty Fried Chicken)

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

This is a good way to get around the danger of pressure frying (What do the weights do?)
And will turn out a fried chicken that tastes good, or great.
But its not the OR

KFC nowadays is not the OR and was changed several times since the sixties until the today, which has four times the MSG.
About five years ago I found a now closed site of madcap Aussies hell bent on finding the OR.
And they did.
They also found out that the spice maker Marion-Kay was selling the spice mix to franchises under the blessing of the colonel himself.
Eventually in the early eighties new owner Pepsi Co, and after the colonel's death, Sued Marion Kay co and its own KFC franchisees to cease and desist using M-K spice.
All spice must be bought from KFC's own set up. They won.
However during the court case the spice sold by marion kay was named several times as 99X
They still sell it today.

If one has a proper modern pressure fryer and uses 99X, You get the OR like it was in the seventies. Crunchier and more flavour than the always disappointing stuff sold today.

I just posted this to explain why I got into it, It was a challenge and I did a hell of a lot of reading and conversing so the process was totally understood. I was fixated to get the flavour I remember from the seventies and early eighties
Do it Chrisg's way unless you get one of only two modern pressure fryers on the market today.
Hardly anyone is going to buy one so Chris's way is the next best thing. :wink:

Here is a link the the 99X, If you used this with the OP's method, You will come very close.
marionkay.com/product/chicken-seasoning-blend/
In chicken seasonings, Options / 99x @ $22 US. for 25 OZ
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Interesting Mick :)

I have no doubt that the concoction that I came up with for my kids is anything but authentic, but it fooled them. :)

The weights were just a late thing that I tried when one daughter said it was close but it wasn't browning all over, would have done in a deep fryer, I don't have one and never will. The weight flattened the chicken out for the browning but it still springs back so you get all those crinkly shapes :) It does something else though and I never quite figured it out, stretches the fibres perhaps ? Either way it received the thumbs up from the kids :)

I noticed the price on the only safe pressure fryers, nope, not to make like the Colonel :)

Cheers
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

This works for Kirsty:

Kirsty Mix:
45g 99x
60g Salt
500g Cornflour

Batter:
50g Kirsty Mix
¼ cup flour
100ml water.

Batter the chicken pieces then coat in dry Kirsty Mix.
Deep-fry for 8 minutes @ 185°C

Chris
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

I think Kirsty has the right idea and next time I'm in Freo I'll come try some :)

I did give batter coating a go with the kids but no, had to be "cwumbs dad!!!" :)

I just gave a mate who was part of the team that sort of invented/used this to keep the kids fed and discovered he still makes it :) He has no idea what the weight does either but it does something. He did mention however that with what he uses, he's the barbel guy, the chicken does stay kinda flat, but no one seems to care :)

Cheers
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

UG, For comparison, Try this method. It wont be as thick coated as Kristys but your clients will think you cracked the secret,,, In fact you will have.

Make an egg wash by ratio of, 1 egg - 1 cup milk- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla sugar dusting.

Soak chicken pieces for thirty minutes

Breading by ratio;
1 cup plain flour
1 or 2 Tbs 99X (pending on how fresh it is, or to taste)
3 Tsp flake salt
1/2 Tsp vanilla sugar dusting

Bread chicken well pressing it in firmly, Do not let set.
Deap fry in very hot oil until colour is achieved. Its got to seal fast like in pressure frying.
Dont worry if its not cooked through in the oil.
Finish off in the oven @ 110c till cooked through and meat softens.

That cake smell will tell you your on the mark :wink:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

chrisg wrote::)

I did give batter coating a go with the kids but no, had to be "cwumbs dad!!!" :)

Cheers
You can always put Cwumbs into the batter!

Ludo splashes a little batter into the final cornflour coating to make it Lumpy!

Cheers
Chris