Shayne's Chinese Roast Duck

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
shayneh2006

Re: Shayne's Chinese Roast Duck

Post by shayneh2006 »

FirePlay wrote:This thread is useless without pics! :D
Nicely said FP.....

I intend on adding to this thread a full pictorial step by step process (with pics) :wink:
BBQ&BEERS wrote:I just can't get my head around hanging any type of uncooked meat at room temperature for 12 hours :? And in summer, it baffles me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B&B.............. :lol:

I have done this method time and time again,,,,,,,,,,,, and I am still here to type this.....

Happy days :P

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
BBQ&BEERS

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

shayneh2006 wrote:
BBQ&BEERS wrote:I just can't get my head around hanging any type of uncooked meat at room temperature for 12 hours :? And in summer, it baffles me.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
B&B.............. :lol:

I have done this method time and time again,,,,,,,,,,,, and I am still here to type this.....

Happy days :P

Shayne
Yeah I know and I have bought and eaten this type of duck from Asian shops and LOVED it but the process still scares me.
roosterman

Post by roosterman »

wow,thats sooooo awesome and seems not to difficult to do..
i am so gunna try do this for xmass.
thx heaps for sharing and look foreward to pics etc :)
cheers....steve......
peteru

Post by peteru »

FirePlay wrote:Honey would help as an antibacterial agent
Another urban myth.

Honey is a natural source of botulinum bacteria.

Post by FirePlay »

peteru wrote:
FirePlay wrote:Honey would help as an antibacterial agent
Another urban myth.

Honey is a natural source of botulinum bacteria.
Not as simple as that...

From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey
As an antimicrobial agent honey is useful in treating a variety of ailments. Antibacterial properties of honey are the result of the low water activity causing osmosis, chelation of free iron, its slow release of hydrogen peroxide,[82] high acidity,[83] and the antibacterial activity of methylglyoxal.
But nevertheless, as you say, it is worth mentioning the following, in case any babies are present:
Because of the natural presence of botulinum endospores in honey,[98] children under one year of age should not be given honey. The more-developed digestive system of older children and adults generally destroys the spores. Infants, however, can contract botulism from honey.
Infantile botulism shows geographical variation. In the UK, only six cases have been reported between 1976 and 2006, yet the U.S. has much higher rates: 1.9 per 100,000 live births, 47.2% of which are in California. While the risk honey poses to infant health is small, it is recommended not to take the risk.
titch

Post by titch »

titch wrote:Could this be done with chicken?

Anyone?
Cheers
Titch
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

titch wrote:
titch wrote:Could this be done with chicken?

Anyone?
This sounded odd to me at first with duck being a sweet meat. But then I remembered mums oven baked chicken wings and legs in Chinese five spice sweet glaze. So Im thinking of course it would work.
The lack of fat around the breast of a chook would change things a bit so it might be worth buterfling it so it roasts more even ?
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
fleetz

Post by fleetz »

Hi Shayne,

Looks really interesting.....intend doing it with a chicken this week......no rotisserie so will just roast it in the new Weber Q

Will report back my results.

Regards,

Fleetz
Yoder YS640 on comp cart, Grill Grates for the YS640, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5, CyberQ WiFi Controller, Maverick ET-732, Maverick ET-733, Thermapen, Weber Q 320, A-MAZ-N 6" and 12" tubes
Bruiserbbq

Post by Bruiserbbq »

Had a go at Shayne's Chinese Roast Duck…..brined for 24 hrs as per the recipe….then spent 7 hrs in the fridge drying….put it in the GMG pellet smoker over a water bath for an hour or so @100c….then cranked it up to 180c until 165f internal temp….yum yum!

Cheers Mark

fleetz

Post by fleetz »

Looks great Mark, :D

Just made the brine and is cooling now. Bought a 2.5kg chicken I will probably brine in 12 hours over night, get it out in the morning and pat it dry and back in the fridge for a few hours to continue to dry.

Not sure if I will fire put the WSM tomorrow and give the bird a good 2 or 3 hours of smoke then finish it off on the Weber Q or just cooking it on the Q?

Will post up how it came out.........I am sure this will will work equally well with chicken as it obviously already has for turkey and duck.

Thanks for posting up the brine recipe Shayne...

Cheers,

Fleetz
Yoder YS640 on comp cart, Grill Grates for the YS640, Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5, CyberQ WiFi Controller, Maverick ET-732, Maverick ET-733, Thermapen, Weber Q 320, A-MAZ-N 6" and 12" tubes
Grill Pro Australia

Post by Grill Pro Australia »

fleetz wrote:Looks great Mark, :D

Just made the brine and is cooling now. Bought a 2.5kg chicken I will probably brine in 12 hours over night, get it out in the morning and pat it dry and back in the fridge for a few hours to continue to dry.

Not sure if I will fire put the WSM tomorrow and give the bird a good 2 or 3 hours of smoke then finish it off on the Weber Q or just cooking it on the Q?

Will post up how it came out.........I am sure this will will work equally well with chicken as it obviously already has for turkey and duck.

Thanks for posting up the brine recipe Shayne...

Cheers,

Fleetz
I agree Fleetz, Mark's looks great! What time are we expected for chicken tomorrow? 8)

Cheers, Dave
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, BBQr's Delight Pellets, Hammer Stahl Knives and American Rubs & Sauces into Australia
https://www.yodersmokers.net.au/
https://bbqrsdelight.net.au//
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO
fleetz

Post by fleetz »

The chicken came out a treat. Sorry forgot to take a photo......could take a photo of the carcass! :D

Can not believe how juicy the bird was. So I will be repeating this on Christmas Day for those in the family that don't eat seafood. :shock:

Thanks Shayne for the brine recipe.

Fleetz
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

Bruiserbbq wrote:Had a go at Shayne's Chinese Roast Duck…..brined for 24 hrs as per the recipe….then spent 7 hrs in the fridge drying….put it in the GMG pellet smoker over a water bath for an hour or so @100c….then cranked it up to 180c until 165f internal temp….yum yum!

Cheers Mark

That looks superb Mark, thans for going with my recipe.
fleetz wrote:The chicken came out a treat. Sorry forgot to take a photo......could take a photo of the carcass! :D

Can not believe how juicy the bird was. So I will be repeating this on Christmas Day for those in the family that don't eat seafood. :shock:

Thanks Shayne for the brine recipe.

Fleetz
Fleetz, I haven’t tried this with chicken but thanks for confirming it works with white meat.

Well here is the latest that turned out cracker,,,,, but it did something different…………………
Brine in the gut before the hang.

Those that buy ducks hanging from Chinese BBq shops will be familiar with the handle from when pulled from the hooks.
Once pulled from the hang, a metal skewer is pulled from the vent area of the duck to release the brine within (this step totally forgot about).

Sooo, my latest was filled with brine, stitched at the vent area with a Bamboo skewer and hung to dry.

Here I have the duck weighted down in the brine
Ready to be filled and stiched

And on the hang (I was supprised my plumbing work on the back end was top notch, and no inserted brine was lost)
]I gave her about 6 hours at room temp (the day was kinda warmish) before the honey rub down

And after the cook, the vent area is still fully sealed, containing the brine.

It is fair to say that a duck done this way will beat (just my opinion in flavour) any Chinese bbq Duck

This was ohhhhhhh so tasty.

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Bruiserbbq

Post by Bruiserbbq »

Top stuff Shayne…..my wife made me a salad with some of the duck added to it for work today…….I reckon it was even better cold and a few days old….will definitely be doing this again….Thanks again Shayne.

Cheers Mark
Banksea

Post by Banksea »

Hi guys
How do you recon this recipe would go with a turkey?
I have done a duck very similar to this recipe and loved it.
Cheers Dave