Shayne's Chinese Roast Duck

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
shayneh2006

Post by shayneh2006 »

This has been a quest of mine to replicate a Duck you see hanging in the windows of a Chinese BBQ shop..............And I have finally nailed it :P

After many years of doing this and that,,, tweaking this and that....... Bang,,,, I am there,, producing a product that meets the taste.. to a "T".

I recently cashed in on the Coles "1/2 price Luv a Duck" deal and cooked it up last weekend. I also had the parents over, said I bought the Duck ready cooked from Cabra :oops: , and my father that goes to Cabra often to buy the Ducks, said it was the best he has tried,,,,,, then insisted on telling him which shop I purchased it from :lol:

The recipe..... and to get the flavor into the Duck... its all about the brine :wink:

This is the brine recipe (single portion), which I had to double to get enogh cover over the bird given the vessel I had on hand.

1.5 liters water
1/4 cup Flossy Salt
1/4 cup raw sugar
3x pieces Star Anise
2x tsp Chinese five spice powder
2x tsp Garlic powder
2x tsp Onion powder
2x tsp crushed Coriander seeds.

Simmer in a pot for 20 mins, cool and brine your Duck for 24 hours.

Hang without rinsing for 12 hours, under constant air movement using a desk fan.

In the final 4 hours of the hang, rub the Duck in a mixture of 1 tbsp Honey mixed with 2 Tbsp water,,, then continue the drying process.

I put mine on the kettle rottiserie and give it 30 mins on low heat (300F) then ramped the heat up to the high 300's.

No pics unfortunately :cry:

The results were 5 star :wink:

Go with this and report back here as you will be frilled with the time and effort I have dedicated in perfecting this.

Shayne

Don't argue with idiots.. They'll bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
titch

Re: Shayne's Chinese Roast Duck

Post by titch »

I thought you did this a while back? or am I losing it?
Cheers
Titch
Nath

Post by Nath »

titch wrote:I thought you did this a while back? or am I losing it?
Similar to another recipe of his, this recipe is a bit less involved though and sounds good.

Nath
Nath
titch

Post by titch »

Busio90 wrote:
titch wrote:I thought you did this a while back? or am I losing it?
Similar to another recipe of his, this recipe is a bit less involved though and sounds good.

Nath
Thanks bloke , thought it was time to go see about it :lol:
Cheers
Titch
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

titch wrote: Thanks bloke , thought it was time to go see about it :lol:
Go see about it anyway!

I need to make something I can hang dry the bird in for 24!
shayneh2006 wrote: Go with this and report back here as you will be frilled with the time and effort I have dedicated in perfecting this.
Shayne
And I'd be thrilled to be frilled!

Thanks Shayne!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Ignore the arse clowns Shayne :lol:

I like where you have taken this,
And seriously mate, You and I are dads, Can your kids fool you? :P
:lol:
Dads are great blokes :wink:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I like how this has become simpler! It's really very "Do-able"!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
titch

Post by titch »

Could this be done with chicken?
Cheers
Titch
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Looks great Shayne, thanks for posting
Bit simpler than my Peking Style duck, love the brining aspect and the choice of spices in the brine. I have to give this one a try for the Xmas season
I would be tempted to use a 1:1 ratio for the honey and water and I would probably also prick the skin as a tweak. I will give your way a shot first before I mess with it.

Cheers

Captain
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

This thread is useless without pics! :D
BBQ&BEERS

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

I just can't get my head around hanging any type of uncooked meat at room temperature for 12 hours :? And in summer, it baffles me.
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

You may be interested in this FSANZ based guideline document from the Vic Dept of Health:

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 5469,d.dGI

In summary, it says:

- Just dip the duck in a combination of boiling water and vinegar (the acidic vinegar alters the pH of the skin to further resists bacterial growth in the skin in addition to the sterilisation provided by the boiling water). Don't let it simmer for long enough to raise the core temp
- Don't dry for more than 6 hours and do it in a cool room (doesn't specify the temp)
- In any case, never let the core temperature of the duck during drying exceed 25C in those six hours - if it does then it goes back in the fridge
- It says to discard any ducks that have hung to dry for longer than six hours, cumulative - regardless of whether they have been put back in the fridge
- After 6 hours of hanging bacteria growth starts to increase and cooking the duck will not destroy toxins produced by some of them

Clearly these are conservative guidelines produced by a govt department to ensure there is no risk to the community from people going to eat duck at any old restaurant around town - they have to draw the line somewhere and for their purpose this is where they have drawn it. Going further than this is "at your own risk" and it's up to the individual whether the results are worth the risk. I've been horrendously ill from eating duck in SE Asia so I tend to lean very heavily in the direction of the FSANZ guidelines as above...
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Good post FP, I can only say that I love it when a plan comes together.

Could one just hang them in a fridge or cool room?
I wonder if the honey helps keep it safe
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
FirePlay

Post by FirePlay »

Smokey Mick wrote:Good post FP, I can only say that I love it when a plan comes together.

Could one just hang them in a fridge or cool room?
I wonder if the honey helps keep it safe
No real idea Mick but if the purpose of hanging is to dry out the skin then I would have thought this could be done very effectively in a fridge? Worth a try at any rate... I'm not sure of the real benefit of hanging at room temperature? Honey would help as an antibacterial agent for sure but it's all part of the overall risk management question. First question to answer is whether there is much of a difference in the end result - sounds like we might need a crowd sourced forum experiment!

The other thing to consider in assessing the risk is the use of factory processed and frozen ducks vs ducks that were scurrying around the yard a couple of hours before being hung out to dry! :D
BBQ&BEERS

Post by BBQ&BEERS »

Thanks Fireplay

I thinks Shaynes recipe is a cracker, I'll have a go at it using the fridge to dry out the skin. I'm wondering if putting a tray of salt underneath it like dry aging beef would help?