Orange Chicken with Garlic Red Potatoes

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Hi all! I had a great day today. Last few weekends I had to work part of the day if not all for my day job. Today it was all to myself. Wife and kids were not around and I got to unleash my inner cooking beast.

Well that was after i had to clean the pantry and fridge which was a direct request from my wife. It seems I have too many spices, rubs, brines, sauces etc. Oh and "What are all those silver bags of stuff"? Do you really need all of them? I said.. Honey... That's all my Mad Hunky Stash! You aint messing with my Mad Hunky Stash!

Anyway after the cleaning I went for a Orange Chicken with Garlic Red Potatoes. I put together a nice orange marinade consisting of 4 cups orange juice, 6 tbsp. low sodium soy, 2 tbsp. honey, 1 tbsp. garlic and 1 tbsp. rosemary. I split the chickens in half, placing two halves in a 1 gallon Ziploc bag and pouring in 1/2 the marinade. Burp each bag and seal. Place in the fridge for at least 8 hours. I recommend 12-14 hours. Do it the night before.

Once marinated I drained, pat dried then rubbed the skin with extra virgin olive oil. Then I seasoned with kosher salt, pepper and rosemary. I pre=heated the Scottsdale to 320 degrees. It later reached 350 degrees then settled in at 290 degrees. The cook took about 1 hour 20 minutes. I pulled the chicken when the internal temp reached 169 degrees. The chicken had great color.

While the chicken was resting I dropped the Lodge cast iron skillet into the grate frame and heated it to 375 degrees. In went 3 tbsp. oil and once it was heated in went the red potatoes, garlic, red onion and green onion. Once done the potatoes joined the chicken on a plate and were eaten by yours truly. What a great cook this was. Yum!

Thanks for viewing! I'm so stuffed!

My Recipe Details

Ingredients:

Poultry
(2) 2-3 Lbs. Whole Chickens

Orange Marinade
4 Cups Orange Juice
6 Tbsp Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp Finely Chopped Rosemary
1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
1 Tsp Paprika
1 Tsp Oregano
1 Tsp Ginger
Pepper to Taste

Gagrlic Red Potatoes
8-10 Red Potatoes Cubed
1 Stock Green Onions Sliced
1 Tbsp Chopped Garlic
1 Tsp Rodemary
1 Thick Slice of Red Onion - Sliced Up
4-6 Tbsp Cannola or Peanut Oil
Pepper to Taste

Pics.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
"Smoke it... and they will come!"
overspiceddave

Re: Orange Chicken with Garlic Red Potatoes

Post by overspiceddave »

That looks great. Im salivating here when i should be working.

I have a recipe that is similar except I only use two cups of fresh juice and the zest of two oranges. and none of that ginger crap.
Then rub the zest of one orange onto the chook when it is being cooked it brings the skin up beautifully.

Dave
magste

Post by magste »

Looks really nice!! Thanks for the marinade tip, will have to make s note to use it for the next chook.
Magnus
---------------------------------------

A Q, a Keg & a Kettle
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Wingman,
Made this the other night and it was sensational. Had to modify the cook a little as I can't use the kettle under cover. A massive thunderstorm hit while I was getting it going so the charcoal was slow to start and I didn't fancy getting soaked and freezing cold. Finished it off in the oven after getting about 20 minutes of smoke into it.
Now on the list of must do again dishes.
Thanks for the recipe.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Angryman65 wrote:Wingman,
Made this the other night and it was sensational. Had to modify the cook a little as I can't use the kettle under cover. A massive thunderstorm hit while I was getting it going so the charcoal was slow to start and I didn't fancy getting soaked and freezing cold. Finished it off in the oven after getting about 20 minutes of smoke into it.
Now on the list of must do again dishes.
Thanks for the recipe.
Glad you liked it mate! It was ahit with my family as well.
Rob
Owner
SmokingPit.com
"Smoke it... and they will come!"