Duck on a Q

CHICKEN, DUCK, PIDGEON, QUAIL, TURKEY ETC
luv2cook

Duck on a Q

Post by luv2cook »

Hi All,

Finally got around to documenting my Duck on a Q recipe. I am calling it Honey Soy Roasted Duckling.Now I will admit, this is my variation on a few recipes I found on the net. But as I have changed quite a few things, I think I have the right to call it my own. :P

Ingredients:
1 x 2-2.5kg Duckling
1 teaspoon of Mustard Powder
1 teaspoon of Garlic Salt

Glaze
1/4 Cup of Honey
1/4 Cup Soy
1/4 Cup Pineapple Juice
2 tablespoons of Molasses
2 tablespoons of Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon of Chilli Paste

Method:
Use very sharp knife to score the duck’s skin all over (you can see what I mean in one of my photos below). Try not to go through meat, only skin/fat. Prick skin all over, again only through skin/fat, not meat. Make sure you do it everywhere, paying particular attention to the fatty areas. The idea here is to allow all the duck fat to be released. Dry duck with paper towel. Combine mustard powder and garlic salt and rub all over chicken.

Make Glaze after you have put duck on:
Combine all ingredients in small pan. Bring to boil, then let simmer for 1/2 hour. Remove from heat and let cool. If glaze becomes too thick at time of application, simply reheat quickly to soften.

Preheat Q to 150 degree C. Place duck breast side up on a trivet inside a baking tray. Then place baking tray on another trivet inside the Q. Cook duck for 45 minutes. Then use sharp knife to re prick duck skin all over. Turn duck over breast side down, and cook for another 45 minutes. (now is a good time to remove all the lovely duck fat and use it to cook your potatoes, pumpkin and whatever else you normally roast when having a roast. To save your baking tray from burning, add a cup or so of water to it). Then use basting brush to liberally coat duck in glaze. Turn heat up to 200 C and cook for 20 minutes (keep an eye on your duck here. You do not want the glaze to start burning).Turn duck over, now breast side up and coat this side liberally with glaze. Cook for further 20 minutes on 200 C and your done (again, keep an eye on your duck here. You do not want the glaze to start burning). Rest for 10 minutes and serve with your favourite veg cooked in that magnificent duck fat.

Meat is beautiful and tender. Skin is to die for. Enjoy!!

Cheers
Ian (luv2cook)

titch

Re: Duck on a Q

Post by titch »

Well done Ian,looks great. :P
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
luv2cook

Post by luv2cook »

Thanks Titch. This was one of the Aldi $14.99 frozen ducks. I gotta say, I am amazed at how good it actually was. :D
Cheers
Ian (luv2cook)

bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

Yes very nice Ian,

Apart from a first class job by yourself, the meat coverage looks pretty good some of the ducks are like buying a bag of bones but this looks great glad you enjoyed.

I went into Aldi and they was all gone.......flown the coop so to speak :shock: :)

Glen
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
Tasmaniac65

Post by Tasmaniac65 »

Tried this technique last night quite good I was surprised that you do need that amount of time to get the breast up to temp, meat was nice very hard to render all of the fatty deposits but the marinade was a winner, cheers
Coop
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Cooked the Honey Soy Roasted Duck for Christmas lunch Wow.

As advertised moist meat and skin to die for.

Tried the glaze on pork spareribs tonight and it was a hit.

Thank you.
Attachments
0AF801C1-93F9-4865-8F10-1285AD6C515E.jpeg
0AF801C1-93F9-4865-8F10-1285AD6C515E.jpeg (135.34 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
B66D3B35-0729-4406-A127-369636741402.jpeg
B66D3B35-0729-4406-A127-369636741402.jpeg (105.7 KiB) Viewed 6218 times
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Wow Ginger, That duck looks awesome.

I've been wanting to do a duck for yonks but the Mrs isn't keen. I'm sure i could eat it by myself eventually but they are a very fatty bird.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Wow ginger that looks amazing.... Oops we went out mostly so no ccoking on my BBQ over the Chrissie/NY period.

Happy New Year!!
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.