Coffee Roasting

Any recipes which don't fall in to the other categories. It doesn't have to be BBQ
sosman

Coffee Roasting

Post by sosman »

After a hijack attempt of a pizza thread bags of green beans I was asked if I have made any coffee rubs and so far no but I wouldn't mind hearing some suggestions.

One thing that holds me back on the rubs (spiciness etc) is having a younger family - they are gradually tolerating a little more chilli but as far as rubs go, salt, garlic powder and onion powder is the staple at my household.

@food&fish I have an Expobar Minore
peteru

Re: Coffee Roasting

Post by peteru »

Anyone tried roasting coffee beans in a Kamado style cooker? If it does work, what's the suggested process?

Post by sosman »

peteru wrote:Anyone tried roasting coffee beans in a Kamado style cooker? If it does work, what's the suggested process?
I think it could work but you would have to keep opening the lid to check on progress.

I have pondered lightly smoking the green beans then roasting them - I reckon you would want to be very subtle with the smoke though.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

sosman wrote: I wouldn't mind hearing some suggestions.
Perhaps the best place to start is a simple salt/pepper/coffee rub like this:
http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/coffee_rub.html

That way you could taste the difference the coffee makes without too many other flavours getting in the way.
SilentBoB

Post by SilentBoB »

I find the trusty popcorn roaster does a decent enough job at roasting the beans, and for $15 you can't really get a much cheaper roaster!

The only downside is you can only do small batches. Keep telling myself I'm gonna upgrade to something bigger soon... Probably a Behmor...

Not sure I'd fancy the results of roasting in a Kamado... Try it and let us know :D

My gf is a barista so we have pretty much every way of brewing coffee available... I have a Rancilio Silvia for espresso but we also have a syphon, pour over, chemex, aeropress, moka pot, cold brew system... I'm sure there's others but they are the main ones that spring to mind... there's a whole cupboard dedicated to coffee equipment in our place :D
Gumb

Post by Gumb »

Is there anything better than the smell of roasting coffee beans ?
peteru

Post by peteru »

Gumb wrote:Is there anything better than the smell of roasting coffee beans ?
Meat BBQ.

Post by peteru »

I'm no stranger to roasting my own beans using a pop corn maker. I've also seen it done using a skillet over a gas flame burner. I was more interested in finding out if anyone has actually experimented in doing it in a Kamado and how it turned out.

Post by Gumb »

peteru wrote:
Meat BBQ.

I knew someone would come back with that. :)
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

sosman wrote:After a hijack attempt of a pizza thread bags of green beans I was asked if I have made any coffee rubs and so far no but I wouldn't mind hearing some suggestions.

One thing that holds me back on the rubs (spiciness etc) is having a younger family - they are gradually tolerating a little more chilli but as far as rubs go, salt, garlic powder and onion powder is the staple at my household.

@food&fish I have an Expobar Minore
I would give my right knacker to have one of them on second thoughts at 75 you can have both[ not used for quite a while ]
sosman

Post by sosman »

peteru wrote:
Meat BBQ.
I have to add, your nitro powered RC car running a bit rich smells pretty good in the morning.
sosman

Post by sosman »

The Behmor 1600 plus is the baby I have, so far pretty happy with although its fair to say I will spend the rest of my life perfecting the roast. Its a bit like BBQ that way.
trentski

Post by trentski »

Can't imagine you would get an even roast in a Kamado, Every coffee roaster I have seen has a stirrer of some sort to agitate the beans, if you had them in a Kamado they would burn on one side.

I use a KKTO and do 5-600 grams at a time, then run them through my Kompak K3 WBC and Rocket Giotto.
MaryLo1987

Post by MaryLo1987 »

oh, I'm very careful about roasting coffee. I think it is better to entrust it to professionals. I do not like this burnt aftertaste, it requires clarity and knowledge, and I unfortunately do not have them