Meat handling at the local butcher.

Post your recipe requests and cooking questions in this setion. Not for general discussions.
Buzabbq

Meat handling at the local butcher.

Post by Buzabbq »

Ok, so I when shopping with my darling wife and while canvassing the meat offerings at a local butcher (within a shopping center) she
commented that she doesn't buy from this particular butch because they handle the meat with bare hands (then exchange money) when serving customers
and that this is actually against the law.

My thinking is as long as we are not eating Steak Tartar it should be ok
I am wondering what the general felling is on the subject ?
chriso

Post by chriso »

I'd prefer to buy from somewhere that appears to follow health guidelines. If they're that slack who know what happens out the back.
steinyboys

Re: Meat handling at the local butcher.

Post by steinyboys »

My father was a butcher with his own shop for 35 years we all handled the meat and money all the time never gave it a second thought, The local butcher I use now handles meat and money and up a until now has never worried me, You can tell the cleanliness of the shop by the smell, I also travel to Vietnam regularly where meat is killed on the day then left unrefrigerated till sold I am not saying this is good practice but as long as everything looks clean and you trust your butcher I think it will be fine, we are cooking the stuff right
Weber Kettle 57cm, Weber Smokey Joe, Hark Gas smoker,ProQ Excel Elite 20