Chipotle tip

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
peteru

Chipotle tip

Post by peteru »

Next time you do a pulled pork or other low and slow with lots of smoke, put a few whole red capsicums on any spare bits of the smoker you have. They should come out completely flat and deliciously smoky. Get them out of the smoker and into some alfoil, then rest overnight in the fridge. You can throw the smoky capsicums in the blender with your next batch of chilli sauce - yum.

I used three of these to "fix" some ElYucateco chipotle sauce - it bulked it up a bit, but more importantly delivered the missing smokiness and sweetness, while cutting back the acidity.

Re: Chipotle tip

Post by MrBrown »

not a bad tip there Peter.

Also use them chopped as base to rest steak on after grilling. I mix the juices in add salt & pepper & fresh parsley and some butter and it's a perfect steak salsa
Frank62

Post by Frank62 »

I like the sound of this tip. Do they turn out like roasted capsicums as far as texture is concerned? I don't imagine they would blister as they would probably require higher heat. However, cooked low and slow with smoke they might get to the same texture as roasted capsicums. Peel them and toss with garlic and olive oil and I think they would be delish.
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

How long do you leave them on for?
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
peteru

Post by peteru »

Varies, anywhere from 12 to 24 hours. They come out more on the dehydrated, but not quite leathery, side. Roasted capsicums are a lot juicier than the smoked ones.

Post by Frank62 »

peteru wrote:Varies, anywhere from 12 to 24 hours. They come out more on the dehydrated, but not quite leathery, side. Roasted capsicums are a lot juicier than the smoked ones.
Thanks. I love roasted capsicum. I might still try them in the manner you suggested.
talisker63

Chipotle tip

Post by talisker63 »

I do this with all surplus ripe chilies from the garden and if not fully dried I finish them off on very low on the kitchen fan forced oven overnight.

Then whizz them all up to smoked chilli flakes.

Really nice in rubs or added to any BBQ, Mexican or middle eastern recipes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
crazymcdazy

Post by crazymcdazy »

talisker63 wrote:I do this with all surplus ripe chilies from the garden and if not fully dried I finish them off on very low on the kitchen fan forced oven overnight.

Then whizz them all up to smoked chilli flakes.

Really nice in rubs or added to any BBQ, Mexican or middle eastern recipes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
This sounds perfect!