Flavoured butters

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
tfx
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Flavoured butters

Post by tfx » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:27 pm

I have made several and love a few but i am yet to try a blue cheese based butter that seems popular online in various recipes.

Has anyone here tried one or have a recipe that nailed it?


titch
Posts: 5801
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:51 pm
Location: Sth East Melbourne

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by titch » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:37 am

I'm boring,just plain old garlic.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch

Amfibius
Posts: 486
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:14 am
Location: Camberwell, Melbourne

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by Amfibius » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:40 am

I love blue cheese! I came across a recipe that called for 50% butter, 50% blue cheese.

But then I started craving the flavour of blue cheese more and more. So these days I dispense with the butter and just eat 100% blue cheese with my steak :)

The type of blue cheese you buy makes a huge difference. Try a St Agur - this is more creamy but with a strong blue cheese hit. St Agur is my all time favourite blue cheese. You could also try a blue brie if you wanted even more creaminess. If you wanted to go the other way, try Roquefort - this is more crumbly, but has an even more intense "blue" flavour but with less salt. Then there are Stiltons and Gorgonzola.

Aussie blue cheeses don't cut it. Most of them are cheddar-like with very mild blue flavour.
Image Image Image

Captain Cook
Posts: 3965
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by Captain Cook » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:42 am

Carpetbag a good ribeye and fill with blue cheese. Grill medium rare to the medium side of medium rare on a very hot grill over charcoal, a knob of garlic butter on it and tent with foil for 5 minutes - devour. Some things in life are meant to go together.

Cheers

Captain

Mountain Mick
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: Baree Central Queensland
Contact:

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by Mountain Mick » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Yes Amfibius I'll agree with that, I like Castello Blue Cheese from Denmark,

I make Blue Cheese sauce with goes well on BBQ Beef Steak, Pork or Chicken

I cut a small 300g Castello Blue Cheese in half so I use about 150g piece cut up in small bits plus 80g of butter and put it in a fry pan with 1/2 cup of thickened cream , 2 Tblsp fresh pasrely, 2 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1/4 tsp hot mustard stir until cheese & cream combine into nice creamy sauce , some time I add a clove of garlic and or hot chilli flakes. MM :lol: :wink: :) :D

I also mix this blue cheese mix uncooked with minced cooked prawns and stuff crumbed chicken breast (chicken kiev) my kids love it.
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com

Deano
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:43 pm
Location: Shorncliffe, Brisbane

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by Deano » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:28 pm

Love blue as well. I'll just add a slice of a room temperature soft blue to the top of a steak. I also sometimes add a good amount of a soft blue mixed into beef burgers. Adds an awesome richness and flavour. I just don't tell the 'anti blue brigade' what they're eating :wink: :P
20" RadarHill Reverse Flow Offset, a few Webers, Wood Fire Pizza Oven, Camp Oven.

Deano
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:43 pm
Location: Shorncliffe, Brisbane

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by Deano » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Mountain Mick wrote:
I also mix this blue cheese mix uncooked with minced cooked prawns and stuff crumbed chicken breast (chicken kiev) my kids love it.
........ that sounds great!
20" RadarHill Reverse Flow Offset, a few Webers, Wood Fire Pizza Oven, Camp Oven.

trentski
Posts: 505
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by trentski » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:10 pm

getting a bit off track here but garlic Boursin on steak is beautiful

http://www.boursincheese.com/products/o ... herbs.html

You can get it at supermarkets

tfx
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by tfx » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:51 am

Not off topic at all. I am looking for ideas. Any flavour recommendations

I have done garlic butter, chives and mustard and once had a roast capsicum butter on a steak (not what i ordered but interesting)

Keen to try some new ones.

beachbums
Posts: 1278
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:51 pm
Location: Smokefireandfood.com

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by beachbums » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:02 am

Hi, We might be a bit OT from the original post too but have you tried Cafe De Paris Butter on a steak? Jan and I had some at a local eatery and loved it. I'm making some today to go with the Fathers Day ribeyes :D

Here's the original recipe from France


Beurre Café de Paris

Ingredients:
1 kg butter
60g tomato ketchup
25g Dijon mustard
25g capers (in brine)
125g brown eschalots
50g fresh curly parsley
50g fresh chives
5g dried marjoram
5g dried dill
5g fresh thyme, leaves only
10 leaves fresh French tarragon
Pinch ground rosemary
1 garlic clove, squashed then chopped very finely
8 anchovy fillets (rinsed)
1 tbs good brandy
1 tbs Madeira
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp curry powder (Keens)
Pinch cayenne
8 white peppercorns
juice 1 lemon
zest of ½ lemon
zest ¼ orange
12gm salt

Method:
Mix all ingredients with the exception of butter in a glass bowl and leave
to marinate for 24 hours in a warm part of the kitchen (a slight
fermentation occurs). Purée the mixture in a blender and push through a
chinois. Foam the butter and mix with the purée. Cover and store in the
fridge. It is customary to form the butter into a log, freeze it and cut off slices as you need them.
Keeps for several weeks.

Upon service a round of frozen butter is placed on the cooked sirloin and put under a VERY hot salamander for just long enough to begin to brown the top of the butter (while the butter underneath stays cold).


And if you trawl around the net there's this one from Neil Perry which may be more in line with modern aussie tastes?

CAFE DE PARIS BUTTER

125g unsalted butter, softened
15ml vegetable oil
1/4 white onion, finely diced
10g Indian style curry powder
1 small handful parsley leaves
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 anchovy fillets
1/2 teaspoon baby capers, rinsed
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 small handful basil leaves
1 small handful thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 egg yolk

To make the butter, heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and curry powder over low heat until soft and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
Process all ingredients until just combined. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Roll butter into a 4cm diameter log, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
Any unused butter can be frozen if it is not going to be used within a week or so.

Mountain Mick
Posts: 933
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:04 pm
Location: Baree Central Queensland
Contact:

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by Mountain Mick » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi Wanye

The name of this dish when it is served with a beef rib or sirloin steak is "entrecôte Café de Paris" and yes very nice, MM :P :D :) :lol: :wink:
beachbums wrote:Hi, We might be a bit OT from the original post too but have you tried Cafe De Paris Butter on a steak? Jan and I had some at a local eatery and loved it. I'm making some today to go with the Fathers Day ribeyes :D

Here's the original recipe from France


Beurre Café de Paris

Ingredients:
1 kg butter
60g tomato ketchup
25g Dijon mustard
25g capers (in brine)
125g brown eschalots
50g fresh curly parsley
50g fresh chives
5g dried marjoram
5g dried dill
5g fresh thyme, leaves only
10 leaves fresh French tarragon
Pinch ground rosemary
1 garlic clove, squashed then chopped very finely
8 anchovy fillets (rinsed)
1 tbs good brandy
1 tbs Madeira
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp curry powder (Keens)
Pinch cayenne
8 white peppercorns
juice 1 lemon
zest of ½ lemon
zest ¼ orange
12gm salt

Method:
Mix all ingredients with the exception of butter in a glass bowl and leave
to marinate for 24 hours in a warm part of the kitchen (a slight
fermentation occurs). Purée the mixture in a blender and push through a
chinois. Foam the butter and mix with the purée. Cover and store in the
fridge. It is customary to form the butter into a log, freeze it and cut off slices as you need them.
Keeps for several weeks.

Upon service a round of frozen butter is placed on the cooked sirloin and put under a VERY hot salamander for just long enough to begin to brown the top of the butter (while the butter underneath stays cold).


And if you trawl around the net there's this one from Neil Perry which may be more in line with modern aussie tastes?

CAFE DE PARIS BUTTER

125g unsalted butter, softened
15ml vegetable oil
1/4 white onion, finely diced
10g Indian style curry powder
1 small handful parsley leaves
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 anchovy fillets
1/2 teaspoon baby capers, rinsed
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 small handful basil leaves
1 small handful thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 egg yolk

To make the butter, heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and curry powder over low heat until soft and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
Process all ingredients until just combined. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Roll butter into a 4cm diameter log, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
Any unused butter can be frozen if it is not going to be used within a week or so.
Image Image
21st century caveman Mountain Mick www.mountaingriller.com

Grill Pro Australia
Posts: 1050
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:39 pm
Location: Adelaide
Contact:

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by Grill Pro Australia » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Captain Cook wrote:Carpetbag a good ribeye and fill with blue cheese. Grill medium rare to the medium side of medium rare on a very hot grill over charcoal, a knob of garlic butter on it and tent with foil for 5 minutes - devour. Some things in life are meant to go together.

Cheers

Captain
I'm definitely trying this Phil :D
Grill Pro Australia
Importing Yoder Smokers, Louisiana, La Caja China, Hammer Stahl,Pellets & BBQ Accessories into Australia
http://www.grillpro.com.au
http://www.louisiana-grills-australia.com.au/
Instagram: @GRILL_PRO

tfx
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by tfx » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:25 am

Thanks for some ideas guys. I am sure i will try some.

Here was tonight's dinner with mustard, lemon, garlic and chives in a creamed butter. Probably a bit much but the first bit melted off while resting and i wanted some in the photo. Sitting on a Cattleman's Cutlet which i suspect started life as a rib roast seeing it still had string around it done to medium rare in the Kamado. Taste was A1 if a little indulgent.

Sorry image not being accepted - quota message

urbangriller
Posts: 9453
Joined: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by urbangriller » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:54 pm

tfx wrote: Sorry image not being accepted - quota message
Images loaded up through the forum are subject to quota (coz that costs money), we all use a photobucket or similar account.


Read this: http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =12&t=5380

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!

chrisg
Posts: 782
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:21 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: Flavoured butters

Post by chrisg » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:28 pm

:)

Years ago in Dallas I had a steak at some place in the downtown that had a fabulous blue cheese dressing.

A friend of mine had taken them up on an "if you can eat this steak then no charge" challenge. He did but it took a while so when the chef finished he came out for a chat.

I asked him about the dressing and he said "well, y'all being from 'Stralia I guess I can tell you my recipe."

Here it is:

A good strong, creamy blue cheese 60%
Melted butter 30%
Cream 10%
Whisk it all together and season, he said the seasoning varied day by day so go nuts :)

I've been making it ever since and played with it, it's great.

A mate in Tenn. has a family recipe that is very similar, but the American cheeses are somewhat different as well.

I don't totally agree on Oz blue cheeses but you do have to go off-shore, King Island cheeses are all superb, their Blue Brie, when you can get it, especially. Those in Vic. probably see it more often, WA is a long way away :)

Cheers


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest