Up Top: Harvest Time is Here

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
YankQ

Post by YankQ »

I imagine you fellows that garden are getting your plants out (or have just recently). Up here, I have about a month before my first frost and my chile peppers are covering me up right now. I grew Tabasco peppers for the first time this year. One common condiment in the Southern part of the U.S. is a bottle of vinegar full of little white Tabasco peppers. We use it on stewed greens and anywhere else a dash of fiery vinegar seems appropriate. While the commercial ones just use the white/green peppers, I decided to do a bottle using all the various shades the Tabasco shows, from white to yellow to orange to red.

I know for me the beginning of growing season seems a long way from the payoff, so I thought I would share this picture with you guys just getting things under way.

So, are chile pepper infused vinegars common down under?
Jeff
Medium BGE, Large BGE, 22.5" Weber Kettle and brand new Q3200
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Up Top: Harvest Time is Here

Post by Davo »

Hi YankQ,

I've seen lots of chilli infused oils such as extra virgin olive oil with chilli inside the bottle.....some slice the chilli for faster infusion......but I can't say I've seen much in the way of vinegars infused.
Looks good though...even just for the display of it.

cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

I make my own, and Chilli infused smoked olive oil....just cut chillies in half, put them in a dish, cover with olive oil and put it in the back of the smoker next time you are doing low and slow.....mmmmm!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
crazymcdazy

Post by crazymcdazy »

urbangriller wrote:I make my own, and Chilli infused smoked olive oil....just cut chillies in half, put them in a dish, cover with olive oil and put it in the back of the smoker next time you are doing low and slow.....mmmmm!

Cheers
Chris
I would love to give this a try with Garlic and chilli. Chris, could you give me a few tips, as in what sort of wood do you use? Extra virgin olive oil? How long do you smoke it for? stir often? and would it be ready straight away or does it need time to infuse?

Cheers!
wedwards

Post by wedwards »

Be careful putting garlic in stuff like this if you want to store it for longer than a couple months. Garlic is a well known botulism carrier and you have to pressure seal it, not just boil your jars, for it to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

crazymcdazy wrote:
urbangriller wrote:I make my own, and Chilli infused smoked olive oil....just cut chillies in half, put them in a dish, cover with olive oil and put it in the back of the smoker next time you are doing low and slow.....mmmmm!

Cheers
Chris
I would love to give this a try with Garlic and chilli. Chris, could you give me a few tips, as in what sort of wood do you use? Extra virgin olive oil? How long do you smoke it for? stir often? and would it be ready straight away or does it need time to infuse?

Cheers!
Just put it in with whatever you are doing and forget about it, yes Extra Virgin..the better the oil the better the result, the garlic/chilli cooks and if it sits under the oil in storage, won't grow anything nasty. You can use it strait away, but it gets better with time. I raid my jars and harvest the garlic to spread on steak and the chillies on the cheese plate.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

YankQ wrote:

So, are chile pepper infused vinegars common down under?
I do the same vinegar and salt whole birds eyes
Tastes excellent
I put a few in a stirfry today
chilling while grilling
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

wedwards wrote:Be careful putting garlic in stuff like this if you want to store it for longer than a couple months. Garlic is a well known botulism carrier and you have to pressure seal it, not just boil your jars, for it to be safe.
Or you need acid salt or refrigeration to stop it
chilling while grilling
Rosie M

Post by Rosie M »

I've made a similar bottle of chilli infused vinegar, it has a load of chilies and garlic soaked in vinegar and It's really amazing. Here's how I do it.
1. Place a variety of halved dried or fresh chiles into a glass jar.
2. Take your pick of vinegars to use: white, rice wine, cider, white wine or red wine. But I prefer apple cider vinegar for it health benefits.
Fill jar with vinegar until chiles are submerged.
3. Seal, and allow the flavors to blend for one week.
Uses: Whisk with oil and use for salad dressings; use chile-infused vinegar in place of regular vinegar for pickling vegetables; or add a splash to pulled pork for a Carolina feel.
You can also add garlic for a little different taste and more healthy option. I love anything with apple cider vinegar as It is very effective for weight loss, skin and acne problems, stomach problems, age spots, sinus infection, allergies, high cholestrol, sore throat. Just saw this amazing article on health benefits of apple cider vinegar , hope it will be helpful for all : apple cider vinegar benefits.