Looking for Ancho chillies

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
Hud

Looking for Ancho chillies

Post by Hud »

Hi all. First post here but hope to become a regular.
I've become quite partial to ancho chillies (dried Poblano chillies) in recipes.
They are pretty hard to find and expensive.
USA FOODS online store has them but they are out of stock.
Anyone know where to find them in 'bulk'?
urbangriller

Re: Looking for Ancho chillies

Post by urbangriller »

Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Hud

Post by Hud »

Brilliant!
Just what I was looking for.
Thanks.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Hi Hud and welcome to the forum.

I'd never heard of ancho chillies and after a brief bit of research I must say I'm intrigued! How do you normally use them?
If you'd like to share some photos this guide will run you through the simple steps on how to post pics on the forum.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

You can grow them and dry/smoke them yourself.
Here is my lone poblano bush comming back with spring
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Hud

Post by Hud »

Narmnaleg I normally use them in sauces. They are quite smokey and have a raisin smell about them. Not super hot either which is nice.
I have a couple of recipie books by Jamie Purviance an American weber guy. I'm a huge fan as a lot of his recipes have a Mexican flavour and most of the ingredients are readily available.
I'm definitely going to plant a Poblano bush! Are seedlings readily available?
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

I've been looking everywhere for seedlings for Poblano but can't get them.

Bought some seeds via eBay and so far none out of 20 have come up and I've tried a few different seed raising methods. Will buy some more from a different seller and see how I go but it may be a bit late in the season to start now.

Contacted the Chilli Factory to see if they have seedlings so I'll let you know. They sell a lot of their range through Masters hardware.

Going to have to make do with the 1 x Siam yellow and 8 x jalapenos I've got going at the moment. Hopefully the sweet habanero seeds will come up soon to widen the variety

Got a Trinidad Scorpion Butch T plant in as well because the kids wanted to grow one. No idea what I'll do with the chillies when they ripen. Dry, powderise and use carefully I guess.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.
titch

Post by titch »

Smokey wrote:You can grow them and dry/smoke them yourself.
Mulch around the poor looking thing.
cane straw is weed free,100mm will help it heaps
Cheers
Titch
baguspeter

Post by baguspeter »

Hud wrote:Narmnaleg I normally use them in sauces. They are quite smokey and have a raisin smell about them. Not super hot either which is nice.
I have a couple of recipie books by Jamie Purviance an American weber guy. I'm a huge fan as a lot of his recipes have a Mexican flavour and most of the ingredients are readily available.
Hi Hud,google Chilli Mojo they have a lot of different seedlings available at the moment.
Hud

Post by Hud »

baguspeter wrote:
Hud wrote:Narmnaleg I normally use them in sauces. They are quite smokey and have a raisin smell about them. Not super hot either which is nice.
Hi Hud,google Chilli Mojo they have a lot of different seedlings available at the moment.
Thanks Peter, they have poblano seeds and I've ordered some!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

titch wrote:
Smokey wrote:You can grow them and dry/smoke them yourself.
Mulch around the poor looking thing.
cane straw is weed free,100mm will help it heaps
She is just sooking because I ripped her from a dried out neglected pot and planted it in that spot last week.
Treat em mean and keep em keen :twisted:

jeez If I had of known about the hoo Haa Id have kept seeds from all the over ripe poblanos I trimmed and threw out two weeks ago,,,, Buggar,, Why didn't I think :cry:
I'll add them to my food forums lucky mail out list for growing next season.

Gus, Trinidads are stupid hot, Use Nitrile gloves and not latex. And don't tempt fate with the neither regions. Because if you touch your willy with even a hint of it on your hands, You will go and get a knife and sever it JUST to ease the pain :lol:
They are nuclear raw but sweeten up when dried and sliced very fine add an intense flavour when used in small quantise.
Done that way the burn is there but long and drawn out rather then like a base ball bat to the head.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Thanks for the link Peter, that's a great website. I ordered way too many seeds :)
Angryman65

Post by Angryman65 »

Gus, Trinidads are stupid hot, Use Nitrile gloves and not latex. And don't tempt fate with the neither regions. Because if you touch your willy with even a hint of it on your hands, You will go and get a knife and sever it JUST to ease the pain :lol:

Bit like dencorub on the goolies when I played footy or a bloke I know using dencorub instead of a different cream on his hemaroids by accident late one night.
Never had to worry about them again though.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for bad hunter.