SMOKED SEA SALT

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
lowen slow

SMOKED SEA SALT

Post by lowen slow »

I am currently smoking some Maldon sea salt flakes and Flossy sea salt with apple and cherry wood and have also tried hickory, I also have a big bag of hard wood sawdust from a Victorian country saw mill that I have not tried with the sea salt as yet. The the last place I used to buy Cornish smoked sea salt has stopped selling it :( I live in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne) Results are not quite up to it using a Hark smoker, I have used about two cups of chips, with the salt evenly spread out over two trays, on two shelves with the water bowl full, for about an hour. I have a few BBQ's I can use, off set barrel smoker, Hark gas smoker, multiple Weber kettles, gas Webers (Q and Genesis) any tips, methods or recipes would be greatly appreciated, I tried a forum search for smoking sea salt without much luck.
Thanks in advance
'If you smoke it.... they will come'
Gumb

Re: SMOKED SEA SALT

Post by Gumb »

I can't help with the Cornish brand but I love the Smoked Himalayan salt I got from Terry at Aussie BBQ Smoke in Belgrave. He's in our vendor section and the trip up there is well worthwhile. I came back loaded last time with charcoal, wood chunks (grapevine, cherry etc) and some hot sauces and of course, the smoked salt.
More details at www.aussiebbqsmake.com
lowen slow

Post by lowen slow »

Thanks Gumb, I have been to Terry's, I just wanted to make my own
BarbieCrazy

SMOKED SEA SALT

Post by BarbieCrazy »

@lowen slow

The best advice I can give you is have something like a sieve to hold the salt to allow the smoke all around. In a foil pan it is more difficult.

I saw Aldi had those extendable vegetable sieves on special about a month ago. To my detriment I didn't get one.

But here is more competent people on the forum that might be able to give you better advice.
food&fish

Post by food&fish »

Smoked salt is there much of a difference I tried some couldent see the difference
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

The smoked salt I have is fantastic!

try not running the Hark, instead fill the woodchip tray and drop in one piece of lit charcoal (not a briquette), and let the tray smoulder....Put some evoo in a low dish or tray and smoke that as well!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
lowen slow

Post by lowen slow »

urbangriller wrote:The smoked salt I have is fantastic!

try not running the Hark, instead fill the woodchip tray and drop in one piece of lit charcoal (not a briquette), and let the tray smoulder....Put some evoo in a low dish or tray and smoke that as well!

Chris
Thanks Chris, what is evoo? and how long... until the smoke stops? I am seriously looking at a cold smoke machine Chris however I have no idea on what size to get?
@ food&fish, you must be using the wrong one, the smell of it is mouthwatering, I used the Cornish smoked sea salt with some Chilli flakes, Rosemary and black pepper corns coarsely ground in a mortar & pestle and then rubbed onto an oiled bone steak a couple of hours before grilling is just amazing, I use smoked sea salt on so many meats prior to cooking, I find using it as a rub a fair bit drops off on the grill so its not too over powering.
@ BarbyCrazy I will keep an eye out at Aldi.

Thanks for the replys :D
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

lowen slow wrote:
urbangriller wrote:The smoked salt I have is fantastic!

Chris
Thanks Chris, what is evoo? and how long... until the smoke stops? I am seriously looking at a cold smoke machine Chris however I have no idea on what size to get?
@ food&fish, you must be using the wrong one, the smell of it is mouthwatering, I used the Cornish smoked sea salt with some Chilli flakes, Rosemary and black pepper corns coarsely ground in a mortar & pestle and then rubbed onto an oiled bone steak a couple of hours before grilling is just amazing, I use smoked sea salt on so many meats prior to cooking, I find using it as a rub a fair bit drops off on the grill so its not too over powering.
@ BarbyCrazy I will keep an eye out at Aldi.

Thanks for the replys :D
EVOO= Extra Virgin Olive Oil....I know, you feel like a dope now...I remember when I first asked the exact same question! :D
A couple of hours is good.
I'm guessing you are talking about the Smokai....1 litre is as big as any domestic user needs.

Tip, you can Spritz you salt with water (lightly) to make the smoke adhere better.

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by urbangriller on Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Chris has got it, moisten the salt and mix through, Cold smoke or warn smoke don't matter. then rehydrate and break it apart.
I get mine quite wet , just wet enough with out any pooling or dripping.
The salt won't melt but its surface will slime a little, The smoke will suck right in.
Toss it around often and go for 5 to 6 hours until mostly dry on a hot smoker or warm dehydrate later if you cold smoked it.

You could wet the salt with lemon juice and zest, add ten percent ground black pepper for you know what :D
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
lowen slow

Post by lowen slow »

Thanks Chris, I do feel dumb now and I was talking about the Smokai it looks great too, saving the pennies so it wont be long :)
lowen slow

Post by lowen slow »

Smokey wrote: You could wet the salt with lemon juice and zest, add ten percent ground black pepper for you know what :D
Thanks Smokey I will give that a go too, now I am curious about the you know what.... I don't know what??
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

You get smoked lemon pepper salt :)
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
lowen slow

Post by lowen slow »

Smokey wrote:You get smoked lemon pepper salt :)
LOL, I am dumb... I thought it was some secret recipe :)
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

lowen slow wrote:
LOL, I am dumb... I thought it was some secret recipe :)
LOL, all good, it kind of is a secret as hardly anyone actually does it.
I've got a grove of citrus and I find ways to use it up.
Wanna buy some marmalade :lol:
LowNslow

Post by LowNslow »

So going to try this!