Where can I buy american competition rubs in AU?

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
joey2810

Post by joey2810 »

Hi guys,

I'm new to aussiebbq and have been bbqing for a couple years now and recently moved into the baby back/pork spare ribs domain. My question is does anyone know where to purchase rub brands such as plowboys, smokin' gunz, EAT, killer hogs etc in Australia. My reason is that I want to know if there much difference between my DIY rub and the competition rubs, and cause i've heard there pretty spectacular.

Any help would be appreciated :-)

Joey.
Smokey

Re: Where can I buy american competition rubs in AU?

Post by Smokey »

It's everywhere Joey, every man and his dog is selling it.
Check out the vendors section, USA foods in Melb are a good source.
If your making it yourself now, don't get too excited. IMO we get fresher base spice here and what you make is probably superior.
The only US rub that gets more then a humpf out of me is Old Bay seasoning. It's actually different.
Some are ok as far as freshness goes, but they all seem to taste the same
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Interesting SM - i was looking at the old bay the other day, USAfoods are nearby......may have to try it :D
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Just had a Re read of what I said, Maybe some folks will love various US import rubs and I should not take away from that.
I'm just jaded and bored of it so it's my own personal problem and in no way suggest that they are no good or not worth using. I was wrong, one should try as many as they can.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Smokey wrote:It's everywhere Joey, every man and his dog is selling it.
Check out the vendors section, USA foods in Melb are a good source.
If your making it yourself now, don't get too excited. IMO we get fresher base spice here and what you make is probably superior.
The only US rub that gets more then a humpf out of me is Old Bay seasoning. It's actually different.
Some are ok as far as freshness goes, but they all seem to taste the same
y'all know how i feel on american "championship rubs"

so......just to keep the peace.......i will say no more.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Generally, The Mrs and I have found that many US type rubs are either too bloody salty, or they're loaded with cumin.

I've been using the Mad Hunky rubs that you'll find mentioned often in this forum, but the one i like most is the mad Hunky with no salt....that gets a major tick of approval from the wife as she hates something too salty but even the Mad Hunky With salt isn't too bad either so RichT has a real good mix with this one. It's not heavy with heat but sits quite nicely on the palette.

I really need to try some of the rubs from the others of the Vendor section.....a little rub goes a fair way in my joint so it tends to last me a while and i gotta be careful that some rubs might end their expiry date before i get to use them.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

I really need to try some of the rubs from the others of the Vendor section.....a little rub goes a fair way in my joint so it tends to last me a while and i gotta be careful that some rubs might end their expiry date before i get to use them.
Same here, I usually buy large packs of rub for value, then repack them down into 100g pacs with my vac sealer. Keeps it nice and fresh.
mrhappi

Post by mrhappi »

Any bricks and mortar stores in Brissy stock Mad Hunky?