Smoked BBQ sauce

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
gussigan

Smoked BBQ sauce

Post by gussigan »

Quick question - can you add smoke to a BBQ sauce? And if so, is it worth it?

Tried to google some recipes/methods but smoke bbq sauce yields thousands of standard results so didn't really help

want to do a smokey chipotle type sauce

what's the best method to get smoke in there? I've smoked some of the ingredients to the sauce before but didn't find that had a huge carryover so I wonder if you could smoke the entire sauce itself?
AussieBBQSmoke

Re: Smoked BBQ sauce

Post by AussieBBQSmoke »

G'day Gussigan,
that's a good question. the prob is that if you smoked BBQ sauce in shallow trays for maximum surface absorption of smoke, it would dry out a bit, even if you cold smoked it. I smoked Rice Bran Oil in shallow trays and it tasted a bit smoked, but wasn't as smokey as expected.

Most guys add Liquid Smoke to BBQ sauce as a shortcut, but I have had success getting smokey flavours by cold smoking dried Chilli's, Black Peppercorns, and Rock Salt in tight weave baskets. The trick is to do it at least twice, with a day gap in between ie. Double Smoked. You then grind these smoked ingredients up and use them in your recipe. You will need to create a very strong smoke by using Grapevines or Tea Tree or Tasmanian Hot Pepper Berry Bushes or all 3, mild smoking woods won't add much flavour.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Chipotle is smoked, and that's the way to add smoke to a sauce, smoke the ingredients, not the finished sauce.

Chipotle and Smoked Paprika go a long way to building a smoke flavour, but they are not the only ingredients that could be smoked.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

No shame in adding smoke water , It's just that ,,,, smoked water. A very natural ingredient.
Not some processed powder. To me it's as essential as any other herb or spice.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Hefty

Post by Hefty »

My wife found some awesome tomato sauce and tomato based bbq sauce recipes that she made using our slow cooker just before I got my Kamado. Has anyone tried smoking and roasting quartered tomatoes as a base for a sauce? I'd like to give it a try but I wasn't sure if the smoke would "get in" enough.

Any advice?
Cheers!
Jono.
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Use liquid smoke available from speciality spice shops. Google for your area.

That's what I use and you don't need a lot.

Phil
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Yes,

There's nothing wrong with using Liquid Smoke, it's about as natural a smoke flavour as you can get but I think a lot of people assume it's created in a lab :) I'd be pretty sure that the smoke flavour in say smoke flavour crisps etc is but if you Google LS it's just cold smoke condensate.

Actually it is becoming more and more available, of late I've seen it on a couple of independent supermarket shelves, picked up my last bottle at The Reject Shop - which may or may not be a good thing :)

Cheers