Yuzu Rind for spice

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
Smokey

Yuzu Rind for spice

Post by Smokey »

Any citrus will work.
Cant stress enough how handy a food dehydrator is for making spice as almost anything will dry out and can be pulverised into powder.
Miso Powder anyone?

The mornings pickings
Take rind off taking care to minimise any white pith.
Yuzu dont produce a lot of juice, Only 600ml for this lot But its the rind that is gold.
Enough to get me through till next years harvest.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
chrisg

Re: Yuzu Rind for spice

Post by chrisg »

:)

A dehydrator has to be one of the cheapest so called gadgets that with some appreciation of it's potential can actually stay out on the bench.

We've dried Kale, wife can't stand it fresh, but loves the dried chips, lemon rind of course, chillies, very occasional jerky, carrot rounds, great in soups, stews, casseroles, garlic, been surprised how useful that was and continues to be sometimes, rose petals, I thought it was just for potpourri but interesting what it can do to rice, nasturtium leaves, waiting for capers, parsley when it runs amuck, mint, etc etc.

Add a food processor or a grinder, I often just grab the mortar and pestle, and you have the satisfaction of your own garden spices and all for very low to no cost apart from some 'lectricity (which is not so cheap any more :) )

They really are cheap, just check Deals on Line or Crazy Sales or any of the other sites with appliances at silly prices, around thirty bucks for perfectly ok units.

If you get serious about jerky then the more pro units are worth a look, but for anyone who does other than TV dinners or decant and cook a dehydrator is a no-brainer, especially if you have a garden.

They also don't, even the cheap ones, die young, all they really are is some plastic trays, a fan and a low temp element, not going to wear out quickly.

Cheers
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

i used to have one of those dehydrators at my old house.

but moving from a 4 bed house with a kitchen that any chef or good cook would be glad to use,
into a 1 bed cottage that has a kitchen nowhere near as big, the bench top real estate is like premium.

so i gave it away and bought one of those ezycook turbo ovens that has got a drying setting on it, must put it through it's paces soon.

but yes the dehydrator is a must have, if you have the space.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Commander Cody wrote: so i gave it away and bought one of those ezycook turbo ovens that has got a drying setting on it, must put it through it's paces soon.

kevin
They are pretty good those Turbo Ovens, mine has had a kicking over the years, used it almost exclusively for 4 months while renovating a kitchen, got it when we lived in a small cottage (like you) for a bit....never tried the "Dry" mode.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

Yuzu is one of my favourite citrus flavours. Smokey you are lucky if you have a tree handy.
Lived in Japan for 5 years and some of the dipping sauces for Yakiniku (Charcoal Grilled meat) using Yuzu where awesome.Vodka or Japanese Shochu with Yuzu juice is a great summer drink
Used to make up a 1:1:1 salt ground black pepper + ground white pepper mix,dip cooked meat in that or sprinkle on top then dip into Yuzu juice. Its a taste sensation.
Am in the process of getting some Yuzu trees sent over to WA (no commercial nurseries sell them here) ,but it is a painful and expensive process due to our quarantine laws. Hopefully in a few years I will have some fruit of my own
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Hope you crack it. It took me many years to get a few trees and In the end had to resort to some fast talking BS .
No one got hurt but I got my Yuzu :twisted:
The smell of these things is just something you fall in love with.
If anyone wants a poly true to form seedling they have to come to my house on the tweed
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au