DIY Rub

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
urbangriller

DIY Rub

Post by urbangriller »

I'm busily writing my next article for StoryQue, and I thought I'd post a snippet that people should find useful.

I was searching around on Ebay the other day, as you do and came across some Australian, South African and US BBQ rubs and I have to say, some of the prices are staggering, particularly for the imported products!

It started me thinking why people don’t make their own; there is a million and one recipes out there!

I think it’s the number of ingredients in most recipes that dissuades most people; you end up with a small fortune invested in 15-20 ingredients, some of which you only need a small quantity of.

So I started looking for Off the Shelf supermarket products that could make a cheap, simple alternative to the commercial rubs available. I’m aiming for maximum versatility and minimum ingredients, a “Cheats” rub if you like.

I also think that the Australian taste (certainly my taste) prefers a less sweet rub; the joy of making your own is you can adjust the salt, chilli and sugar level to suit your own taste.
You can also “Cheat” the smoke ring intensity by adding a little (and I mean a little) curing salts to the rub.

This "cheats" rub is fantastic! It’s so good I’m giving it a name; I’m calling it Right on the Money, a sweet, slightly smokey, deep flavoured Pork or Rib rub. It can be made with only two supermarket ingredients if you want; I’m going all out by using two sugars. The recipe makes up 270g (9.5oz) for less than $6, so lash out and buy a screw top container to store it in!

Right on the Money Rub
2 packs Old El Paso fajita mix
80g unrefined sugar (turbinado or demmerera)
50g coffee sugar crystals

Turbindo sugar is a similar sugar to Demerara, Turbindo is slightly lighter and has a slightly larger grain, but effectively both are unrefined cane sugars. I’ve used two sugars here so it “looks the part” and to give a granular texture, a granular texture helps you see that you have an even coat.
You could add a little fresh ground black pepper if you like

Now a typical Homemade Fajita mix is something like this;
1 tablespoon cornflour (corn-starch)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon crushed chicken stock cube
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
.....So you can see we have replaced all those ten ingredients with one by using the pre-made Fajita mix.

Right on the Money rub variations:

If you like a little kick, add a half teaspoon of Chilli powder or Cayenne Pepper.
Add some Smoked paprika to increase the Smokey taste and the Red colour.
Add more unrefined Sugar and two crushed Oxo chicken stock (bullion) cubes for a “finishing” rub.
Dried Lemon Zest for a bit of fresh Zing, easy to make, just zest a lemon, (I use a microplane) lay it out on a sheet of kitchen paper, the next day it will be dry enough to store in a jar.
Dried rosemary, dried oregano or crushed bay leaf are also good things.

Do I make my own rub? Yes I do! ....And I have some quite stunning rubs, brines and injections, they take time to make up, but only a fraction of the time they took to develop. Having your own unique rub is a great thing, inherently pleasing and good for the soul! I encourage everyone to give it a go, start simple and let your taste lead you!

The one thing I will say is, weigh everything and take meticulous notes, if you do find a winning combination, you’ll want to be able to duplicate it!

Cheers
Chris
Last edited by urbangriller on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
chrisg

Re: DIY Rub

Post by chrisg »

:)

I'd never thought of that as a "rub" Chris but you are right, been using the El Paso stuff for ages, in fact you just reminded me to put some on the shopping list, stocks are low :)

Lemon zest is great to have around, I don't know what a microplaner is but you can get a little zester at most cooking accessory places, or markets, picked mine up at Freo markets years ago.

Essentially it's free, just the peel of lemons that are going to be used anyway. I do keep mine in the fridge under vodka, it keeps forever and remains ready to add great zest to many meals, a little goes a long way.

Cheers
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

Two of these 40g packs? I'm just asking in case there is other sizes. Also, what the difference between using unrefined sugar (turbinado or demmerera) and normal brown sugar?

Thanks for sharing.
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

StoneX wrote:Two of these 40g packs? I'm just asking in case there is other sizes. Also, what the difference between using unrefined sugar (turbinado or demmerera) and normal brown sugar?

Thanks for sharing.

Yep, just the normal 40g pack.

Brown sugar is a bit "Wet" and clumps up a bit, the crystalised sugar remains free flowing.

Cheers
Chris
BarbieCrazy

DIY Rub

Post by BarbieCrazy »

Chris, Just wondering where will raw sugar fit in with the sugars
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

BarbieCrazy wrote:Chris, Just wondering where will raw sugar fit in with the sugars
Raw Sugar is just another unrefined sugar, tends to have a smaller grain (crystal) size, but it will do fine as a substitute!

Cheers
Chris
Shane_H

Post by Shane_H »

Unreal idea with the premixed Mexican spice mix Chris, think a Mexican pulled pork taco/burrito night might be on the cards :)
Cheers :)
2browndogs

Post by 2browndogs »

Great thread Chris.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

The only "sugar" I will use in my rubs! Just fantastic and has a higher burn point then refined or brown!
urbangriller wrote:
Turbindo sugar is a similar sugar to Demerara, Turbindo is slightly lighter and has a slightly larger grain, but effectively both are unrefined cane sugars.
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

StoneX

Post by StoneX »

Bought these on the way home last night, might do pulled pork over the weekend :)

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

And here was me using pre packed rubs for fajitas when I run out of Old El Paso :roll:
:lol:
Did anyone try the fajita powder that Aldi had a few weeks ago?
Holy hell it's hot :shock:
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Anyone tried this yet???

Chris
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Chris....

damn it laddy..............ya gotta stop giving the heathens the word.

no but really, love this cheat, used it yesterday, spiced it up with some dried and crushed "ghost" and some hungarian smoked paprika, with kaffir lime zest.

however i did not have that fancy sugar, so i used brown...........i just put it in the oven on a really low temp for a minute or five to dry it out, then mortar and pestled it very lightly, to break it up.

just did a wonderful pork roast using your tilt method and this cheat.................

will use again for sure.

sorry no photos...............flat batteries and lost charger, must get one today.

thank's Chris

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Kev,

Good to see you back brother!

Get them batteries fixed!...we've been short on Gordy pics lately!

Chris
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

urbangriller wrote:Anyone tried this yet???

Chris
Yeah, I used it on a pork scotch for pulled pork last weekend. I didn't like it, maybe it's not suited to pulled pork :(

All over the right one: