DIY Rub

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
urbangriller

Re: DIY Rub

Post by urbangriller »

a Bit sweet for PP...better on ribs.

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

Yep, that was it... Too sweet.

I'll give ribs a go with it next time :)
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

StoneX wrote:Yep, that was it... Too sweet.

I'll give ribs a go with it next time :)
A lot of people do use sweet rubs on pulled Pork, but I think our "aussie" taste prefers a more savoury finish. Make a batch with less sugar, that's the joy of mixing your own.

I sometimes mix the "On the Money" rub 50/50 with a basic Salt/Pepper rub.

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
StoneX

Post by StoneX »

My normal pulled pork rub is pretty good so I don't think i'll change from that in future... It causes a nice bark and has a great flavour.
doc dogg

Post by doc dogg »

urbangriller wrote:Anyone tried this yet???
I had all the individual ingredients so I made this rub from scratch. Substitutions were fresh lemon zest, 1 tsp oregano and I used brown sugar. I also used my own finely chopped dehydrated chilli flakes, only 1 teaspoon as they are super hot but good god are they tasty :)

Cooked for 4 hours at 250°f with 2 chunks of hickory over heat beads in the ProQ. No sauces or bastes as I wanted to see how it went without.

Pulled them off when the meat pulled from the bone when I bent it. I forget to remove the membrane, but it was thin and wasn't an issue (unlike my beef ribs that the membrane was like a tyre tube)

Nice and tender, but still had a nice bit of chew to them. The chilli gave it a good hit of heat that made my lips tingle, but I'm glad I didn't put another teaspoon in like I planned as I would have regretted it in the morning.

Here is the obligatory photo of the ribs accompanied by sweet potato wedges and ezme salad (turkish tomato and onion salad with pomegranate molasses, delicious!)

2 Thumbs up for this rub, it made some great ribs.

I'm not a real doctor Miss, but I'll have a look anyway.
Powderdigit

Post by Powderdigit »

Fair dinkum - I'm lovin' this forum - have only just touched the surface of this corner of the ABBQ forum world and all I can say is I've gotta get the Weber going this weekend - perhaps tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for all the recipes and cheats folks. Appreciated.
Powderdigit