Hurricanes BBQ Sauce Recipe

SAUCES, RUBS, MARINADES, BRINES ETC
Badassrose

Post by Badassrose »

Hi Ya'll

Can anyone honestly say that they have found a better bbq sauce then the one they use at Hurricanes restaurants in Sydney? From what I know (I have met some Sth African Friends who apparently know the 2 owners and they gave me a little history lesson) the restaurant has links to the huge 'Spur' restaurant chains back in South Africa. Either they were ex-employees or perhaps still owners/part owners or whataver. I'm pretty sure that the Spur group are also affiliated with 'Meat and Wine Co', 'Ribs and rumps' and the newish 'Ribs and Burgers'. Knowing this I set out to track down some of the Spur BBQ products available here in Sydney - there is a Sth African fella at my local Markets. I got a hold of a $8 bottle of Spur original spicy basting sauce and rushed it home to try on a rare rib eye steak. Unfortunately the result wasnt quite the same although the sauce itself had a very unique taste which at the very least gave me a different perspective. A quick flip to the side of the bottle listed some pretty unique ingredients such as dried mushrooms and dried apricots which I had never considered for flavours in a BBQ sauce and I have tried plenty of weird and wonderful things in all the ones ive made over the years.

So, for those that agree with me - Have you got a recipe that is somewhere in the vicinity of the this wonderful BBQ sauce? Or do we have any good reverse engineers among us?
Alternatively are there any Sth African's who can give us any recipes for quality Braai Sauces?
SilvRFoxX

Re: Hurricanes BBQ Sauce Recipe

Post by SilvRFoxX »

Can't say I have tried it , but for half the price you can get your hands on the Sweet Baby Ray BBQ sauces. If you check out their website you will find a huge r.ange of recipes which you could use your BBQ sauce for.
Weapons : Weber Genesis E330, Weber OTG Premium & Hark Patio Smoker
barls

Post by barls »

the monkey gland is pretty close, its on here some where
BarbieCrazy

Post by BarbieCrazy »

Not sure how the sauce taste, however South Africa use a lot of chutney. Especially Mrs. Balls brand which you will find in Woolworths. It contains dried peaches and apricots.

That is also the main ingredient in Monkey Gland Sauce.

Here is another marinade you might try. Like I said I'm not sure what sauce you've tasted but are familiar with the Spur brand sauce.

250 ml tomato sauce (ketchup)
125 ml Worcestershire sauce
30 ml fruit chutney
5 ml mustard powder
30 ml white vinegar

Mix everything and cook for approx 2 minutes.
Can be used warm or cold.
Marinate meat in the sauce or use as basting sauce.
sydking

Post by sydking »

To this day i have NEVER had better ribs then hurricanes on a good day.

I cant work out either, I highly doubt they use Real smoke and fire too. It would be all ovens.

I will have to chat to the chef next time im there, Or get chummy with a waitress for some free sauce :)
Badassrose

Post by Badassrose »

SilvRFoxX wrote:Can't say I have tried it , but for half the price you can get your hands on the Sweet Baby Ray BBQ sauces. If you check out their website you will find a huge r.ange of recipes which you could use your BBQ sauce for.
Ive tried all the range of Baby rays and they dont come close. IMO Sweet Baby Rays isnt even the best commercially bought BBQ sauce you can get. For me, Bullseye BBQ sauces are pretty good. I have a further shipment of a few other rare bbq sauces coming from the states soonish.. Ill keep everyone posted.

Regarding Hurricanes, if you live in sydney and havnt tried these hop to it. The sauce is closer to a glaze I think
Badassrose

Post by Badassrose »

BarbieCrazy wrote:Not sure how the sauce taste, however South Africa use a lot of chutney. Especially Mrs. Balls brand which you will find in Woolworths. It contains dried peaches and apricots.

That is also the main ingredient in Monkey Gland Sauce.

Here is another marinade you might try. Like I said I'm not sure what sauce you've tasted but are familiar with the Spur brand sauce.

250 ml tomato sauce (ketchup)
125 ml Worcestershire sauce
30 ml fruit chutney
5 ml mustard powder
30 ml white vinegar

Mix everything and cook for approx 2 minutes.
Can be used warm or cold.
Marinate meat in the sauce or use as basting sauce.
Yes.. they do use fruit chutneys and I have tried putting this into a BBQ sauce before however there is a few secret ingredients that take the sauce to another level.
JBBQ

Post by JBBQ »

Just created an account to contribute to this thread.
I know it's not the answer you're after, but it may help.

A friend of mine used to waitress at Hurricanes, and she said that one of the ingredients was coca cola.

I hope that helps. If anybody figures out how to replicate their glaze, I'd be forever in your debt. It truly is the greatest I've ever tasted.