Potato boats/skins

FRUIT N VEGGIES
tfx

Potato boats/skins

Post by tfx »

You know when you have done something for years a certain way and you want try something different - well that what started this off.

I was messing around with some different ways of roasting spuds just for the heck off it with the kids and when looking online for ideas we found this one somewhere.

Wash spuds with water then roll on a plate with covered with salt. The wet potatoes pick up a fair bit of salt this way which helps them go papery but most of the salt falls off/brushes of when done. No oil. A few punctures with a fork prevents explosions.
Roast for an hour on 200C.
Remove when done and cut in half
Scoop out all bar maybe 1/4 inch of flesh into a bowl then put skins back in oven/kamado/weber to crispen up. Dessert spoon works fine.
Add plenty of sour cream and chopped chives to flesh and whip with a fork.
Spoon back into skins and top with plenty of grated colby and some finely shredded bacon. You can get to this point and wait for rest of meal if needed or to prepare ahead of time.
Grill until cheese is bubbly.
Fight over result with family. Crispy skins full of creamy mash with cheese and bacon topping. Ultra comfort food with the footy on as cold day or special side for family meal. Must get photos next time. I suspect there will be requests.
Jars

Potato boats/skins

Post by Jars »

Had these at tgi Fridays, they were pretty average, but I imagine home made will be bloody good!
Yoder YS480 || Weber OTS Premium || Weber Go Anywhere || Weber Jumbo Joe || Keg Spit || 'Golden Moth' UDS
tfx

Re: Potato boats/skins

Post by tfx »

I have heard the TGI ones are more like hollow shells. The things I made were more like pies with fillings piled higher than the casings.

Have seen some done with salami and some with slices of roasted capsicum as toppings that i would like to try.
titch

Post by titch »

When you get into Twice baked Potato's,only thing holding you back is imagination.
They are marvelous.
Try an egg cracked on top.
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=twice ... 60&bih=562
Google twice baked potato in images.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Shhhhhh, potatoes would make a great throwdown!................ in my humble opinion :?
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

bodgy wrote:Shhhhhh, potatoes would make a great throwdown!................ in my humble opinion :?
I'll see your potatoes and raise you a carrot!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

bodgy wrote:Shhhhhh, potatoes would make a great throwdown!................ in my humble opinion :?
Now there's an idea ....................... Favourite Veggie Dish

I have 3 that are all mind blowing.

Hey Kev - do you want to put this one on the "todo" list.

Captain
tfx

Post by tfx »

Ahhh - Twice baked.

Followed your link and they are defiantly more like what i made. So many ideas.

Anyone have a fav beyond the egg?
titch

Post by titch »

tfx wrote:Ahhh - Twice baked.

Followed your link and they are defiantly more like what i made. So many ideas.

Anyone have a fav beyond the egg?
Twice cooked beans,Bacon,Fried Onion,pizza,Bolognese,or all together.make a pizza topping then grill it.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch