FRUIT N VEGGIES
FlamingDuck

Sweet Potatoes with Spicy Coriander and Mango Salsa

Post by FlamingDuck »

Sweet Potatoes with Spicy Coriander and Mango Salsa

Salsa
2 mangoes, peeled and diced
1 finely chopped small red onion
2 tbsp. chopped coriander (can have more than this)
3 tbsp. lime juice (also to taste, can use more)
zest of limes grated or finely chopped
finely chopped fresh red chilli to taste
(this is a versatile and delicious salsa and can be made without the mango, used on many other things as a dressing)

Sweet potatoes
Olive or Macadamia Nut oil
Chopped garlic (amount to taste, I like loads)

Slice the sweet potato just under 1cm thick. Skin on or off, optional. I leave on after scrubbing them.

Chuck the SP discs into a bowl and pour in olive oil or macadamia oil. Add minced or finely chopped garlic, salt and pepper. Make sure all pieces are covered with the oil.

Place on grill, indirect heat.

Mix all ingredients for the salsa, keep in fridge.

Only drawback is that they do burn easily due to the high sugar content in the sweet potato. Need to keep an eye and turn them when brown. Done as soon as they are soft. You could start them in foil, then give them a quick zap on each side instead of straight on grill.

Place on serving dish, spread the salsa on the top, serve warm or cold.

Aussie friend visiting next week (have overcoats, sweaters and hot waterbottle at the ready :roll: ), so will be making this and will post pics later.
camdira

Re: Sweet Potatoes with Spicy Coriander and Mango Salsa

Post by camdira »

Sounds like a great recipe. Can't wait to see the photos.

Love the fact that we have a vegetarian on this forum, as we seem to be lacking in vegetable dishes :P
Last edited by camdira on Fri May 25, 2012 9:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Add a pinch of flake salt to that salsa.
Its very close to my beloved "Xec" salsa and the salt needs to be there with the bitter and the sweet.
Of course adjust to your liking :D
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

camdira wrote:Sounds like a great recipe. Can't wait to see the photos.

Love the fact that we have a vegetarian on this forum, as we seem to be lacking in vegetable dishes :P
Camdira, Its only since Flaming Duck started posting all this stuff that I really ever looked in this room :oops:
The fact that it is all done on a BBQ is priceless and My Lovely (Management) is very appreciative for it.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
camdira

Post by camdira »

Camdira, Its only since Flaming Duck started posting all this stuff that I really ever looked in this room :oops:

It's funny isn't it Mick. When I first discovered this forum it was all about the meat recipes, and then one day I decide to look in the V section as I had run out of threads to explore.

I think a bbq is far more impressive when you can serve accompaniments to your meat dishes that have also come from the grill etc.
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

FlamingD

I love sweet potatoes any which way

I cheat a little with BBQing it. I first microwave the slices for 2-3 minutes so they get a good kick start on cooking the inside and this means I can then cook it direclty on the BBQ without burning but just good grill marks

Always bake a whole one or two (skin on) when doing a roast pork in the Weber :D

Glenn
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
titch

Post by titch »

Livewire wrote:FlamingD

I love sweet potatoes any which way

I cheat a little with BBQing it. I first microwave the slices for 2-3 minutes so they get a good kick start on cooking the inside and this means I can then cook it direclty on the BBQ without burning but just good grill marks

Always bake a whole one or two (skin on) when doing a roast pork in the Weber :D

Glenn

Ooooh yes :P whole sweet potato in the skin.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch