Ratatouille on the BBQ

FRUIT N VEGGIES
goughi

Ratatouille on the BBQ

Post by goughi »

Ratatouille is a traditional french recipe from Provence and has many variations. It is particularly good with grilled or roasted lamb. It is usually cooked on the stove top, but I cook a lazy man's version in the oven/BBQ. The BBQ can give better flavour through caramelization and smoke. A family favourite.

1Kg onions rough chopped
1kg eggplant cut in 3cm cubes
1kg zucchini cut into 1cm thick rounds (whatever colour takes your fancy)
1kg capsicum cut into large slices (I reckon red is best)
6-10 cloves of garlic finely sliced
Big tin crushed tomatoes plus some quatered egg or roma tomatoes
At least 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
.5-1 cup balsamic vinegar
1-2tsp dried oregeno
fresh basil
sugar to taste
salt and peper

Method
Spread tinned tomatoes across the bottom of a baking dish and add fresh tomatoes, onions, eggplant, capsicum, and spread garlic, EVOO, vinegar and oregeno over, you could mix if you wish.
Cook in a covered BBQ at 180-200C for 10min then add zucchini and cook for another 10 mins or until vegies are soft. If the dish is too dry add some white wine or water with the zucchinis. Prior to serving add plenty of torn basil, salt and pepper and some sugar if necessary to balance the tartness of the tomatoes.

The quality and quantity of the olive oil and garlic determines how good it tastes

This will make enough for a dozen people but its really nice reheated with some sausages or it's great cold with cold meat and salad. Obviously you could halve the quantities. Enjoy
chiefcook51

Re: Ratatouille on the BBQ

Post by chiefcook51 »

Made this in my grk rest...was always a side veg. mix with all meat dishes. Also great on its own for vegetarians who used to come

in. It is also a great base for vegetarian Lasagne...many uses, v. versatile !! Of course, the grk version has heaps of lemon juice

which gives it a slight tang...great food, yyuummmm !!!