Swineapple

FRUIT N VEGGIES
gnol

Re: Swineapple

Post by gnol »

Must say that I am not the biggest fan of cooked fruit but this looks pretty good.
I would order a serve of this.
hoddo

Post by hoddo »

That must have been a big pineapple
Groovy Gorilla

Post by Groovy Gorilla »

Its a yes from me
I like pork and pineapple
chilling while grilling
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

So the country ribs go in raw? Would seem to me the pineapple would be ruined by the time they are cooked!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Card Shark

i

Post by Card Shark »

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... p?t=210457

Post by iammadman =

Personally when I try it, I am going to partially cook the pineapple separately, simply because fresh pineapple contains an enzyme called Bromelain. Bromelain actually digests proteins, which will cause mushy meat as you experienced. The heat / cooking process will deactivate the enzyme and the pork would then be normal, not mushy.

That is why jello will never set when you use fresh pineapple, it digests the proteins which normally causes the jello to become firm and solidify. Bromelain is used as a meat tenderizer, and that if you leave it on the meat too long it will just turn to mush.

My choice of pork would undoubtedly be a pork tenderloin. I would also rub the pork and give it a good sear before stuffing into the partially cooked pineapple.

My choice for the bacon wrapping would be the thick-sliced cherry wood smoked bacon which I always get from Costco.

After the pineapple is partially cooked and the pork is seared, I would stuff the pineapple and then wrap it in the thicker bacon.

I think this method would probably give better results. Hopefully the flavor would also be better balanced, I guess I'll soon see.
Grillnoob

Post by Grillnoob »

have vague memories of eating pizza with pineapple a long time ago , but recently the only pineapples I have seen have been on mine sites. not pleasant
DingoWA

Post by DingoWA »

I didn't think it was possible.....but the bad taste keeps going.....
Bacon-Wrapped Pineapple Mozzarella Rings
http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2014/05/b ... a-rings-2/
Weber OTG/Roti, Workhorse gassers, Weber Q, GMG DC
Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

Dingo, perhaps suggest BBQ schooling. There's a knowledgeable gent over your way.
DaveZ

Post by DaveZ »

Has anyone tried partially cooking the pineapple and pork before combining? When I cooked it the meat was crap to be honest, like a lot of people have described.