SOUTHERN STYLE BAKED BEANS

INGREDIENTS

3 Cans of Cannellini Beans
1 750ml Bottle of Passatta (Tomatoes) or 2 cans of chopped Tomatoes
1/3 Cup of Molasses or Black Treacle
2 Tablespoons of Brown Sugar
2 Tablespoons of prepared American Mustard
½ teaspoon Tabasco or other southern style hot sauce
1 piece of Speck (Bacon) or Kaiserfleisch (the size is dependent on how much bacon you want in the dish!) But gives a great smokey flavour so I usually put in around 500gms if you can’t find either – use 5 bacon rashers diced
1 onion sliced thinly

Remove fat from bacon and fry with onion in a little oil until bacon is browned and onions are caramelised.

Mix bacon in with all other ingredients in a slow cooker or pot and simmer for around 3 hours. Season to taste

If you’ve got a crowd to feed you can chuck in an extra can of beans without need to adjust the other ingredients.
TONKA

Re: SOUTHERN STYLE BAKED BEANS

Post by TONKA »

Perfect timing, I was just looking online today for a good baked beans recipe :)
"If your lookin' you ain't cookin"
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

my bro in law made some awesome beans on christmas morning (he is 2nd year apprentice chef). i rekon it was similar to above but with chorizo in it.
the dane

Post by the dane »

its 5am! just read that recipe, made me hungry! up and banging in the kitchen! did a short cut used a can of plain baked beans in bbq sauce! but still put the bacon, Tabasco, mustard, brown sugar, hot sauce in! tasted great on fruit toast!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Beans on fruit toast...100% certain I can say that is something I have never eaten, nor have I ever seen it. Quite intriguing, wish I could see a photo of fruit toast and the entire dish!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

the dane

Post by the dane »

Had no plain bread in the pantry! & Fruit Toast and fruit bread is so cheap when Hot Cross Buns are up and about!
CathB

Post by CathB »

Very resourceful! But give the original recipe a try! I always make plans to have leftovers on toast for breakfast but there's never any left over. For a meal in itself, I've also added sliced Italian Sausage (done on the BBQ of course) which makes a great cheap and filling winter dish especially served up with crusty bread! :D
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Bentley wrote:Beans on fruit toast...100% certain I can say that is something I have never eaten, nor have I ever seen it. Quite intriguing, wish I could see a photo of fruit toast and the entire dish!
Fruit toast is basically bread that has been made with sultanas and other dried fruit then it can be toasted in a toaster or on a grill just like any other toast, it is nice, sweet due to the fruit and is often just good to have with some butter on it but with baked beans....mmm never tried that!! :?

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

OK, maybe like raisin toast? Not fruit cake right? Now that is some nasty stuff!

Beans on toast, just would have never even though about it. Sounds fine, as I like both, just very different for me!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Bentley wrote:OK, maybe like raisin toast? Not fruit cake right? Now that is some nasty stuff!

Beans on toast, just would have never even though about it. Sounds fine, as I like both, just very different for me!
you can buy raisin toast and fruit loaf. basically the same thing but fruit loaf has other fruit in it, but still mainly raisins.

beans on toast (normal toast) is a staple in australia.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Appreciate you all taking the time to enlighten me!
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Card Shark

Post by Card Shark »

CathB wrote:Very resourceful! But give the original recipe a try! :D
Made this for lunch using canned tomatoes. Found it a bit dry at the start of cooking so added a warm can of XXXX and it came out nicely. Slow smoked with a small chunk of mulberry.
Zorba wrote:
beans on toast (normal toast) is a staple in australia.
Bentley wrote:Appreciate you all taking the time to enlighten me!
Bentley, from a US perspective, the beans here are generally not sweetened like you would be used to, and in tomato sauce like the UK. CS