A few more Corn on the Cob ideas

FRUIT N VEGGIES
stephenk

A few more Corn on the Cob ideas

Post by stephenk »

A few more ideas for Corn on the Cob that are tried and tested (although the possibilities are endless):

1) Spicy melted cheese and lime.
BBQ Corn on the Cob, half way through cook drizzle lime juice over corn.
Near end of cook, place on teflon sheet, then place strips of cheese (I use cheddar, bit there may be better options) on top of corn and allow cheese to melt (approx. 2 minutes).
Remove Corn on the Cob from BBQ and dust cheese with Paprika and Cayenne Pepper (or other spices).

2) Garlic butter and parmesan
Before BBQing Corn on the Cob, glaze with Garlic Butter (note: this seems to produce quite a few flames at the start of the BBQ).
At end of BBQ dust Corn on the Cob with parmesan,and leave a few minutes for the parmesan to melt slightly before eating.
Card Shark

Re: A few more Corn on the Cob ideas

Post by Card Shark »

beachbums

Post by beachbums »

The Garlic butter and parmesan sounds pretty good Steve.

Not sure where I saw this, might have even been in here somewhere but give it a try......

An easy way to peel corn and remove the "Silks" You know those horrible hairy bits that stick all over the kitchen and in your teeth. Cook the corn au naturel in its husk ( or in the microwave *shudder*) and when ready to serve cut the bottom bit off just where corn niblets start. Then holding the top pointy bit firmly just sort of squeeeeeze the corn cob out of the husk. All the Silks will stay in there as you have hold of them. Give it a try, it really works ( and makes you look like a BBQ Guru as well :D

Cheers, Wayne and Jan
hickory hotbox

Post by hickory hotbox »

Something I was doing when corn was 6 for a dollar was brining them in a 6% salt/3% sugar solution for a few hours. While this is happening, make up your favourite compound butter. I like to do lime and chipotle. For 250g of butter I blitz up 1 chipotle and the zest of 1 lime, making sure to squeeze the lime juice into a double rum & coke (rum optional if you're a teetotaller like me!)
After the corn has been brining for as long as you have the patience to endure, fire up the hot smoker, and smoke the corn for around an hour at 120ish.
Smother in butter and freshly ground black pepper and devour while attempting to not get chipotle butter fingerprints all over you rum bottle.

Edit: just realised I replied to a thread from before Xmas! I hope it's still useful!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

hickory hotbox wrote:Something I was doing when corn was 6 for a dollar was brining them in a 6% salt/3% sugar solution for a few hours. While this is happening, make up your favourite compound butter. I like to do lime and chipotle. For 250g of butter I blitz up 1 chipotle and the zest of 1 lime, making sure to squeeze the lime juice into a double rum & coke (rum optional if you're a teetotaller like me!)
After the corn has been brining for as long as you have the patience to endure, fire up the hot smoker, and smoke the corn for around an hour at 120ish.
Smother in butter and freshly ground black pepper and devour while attempting to not get chipotle butter fingerprints all over you rum bottle.

Edit: just realised I replied to a thread from before Xmas! I hope it's still useful!
Yes indeed it is :)
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au