Sideburner alternative

FRUIT N VEGGIES
chrisg

Sideburner alternative

Post by chrisg »

This seems to be a quiet section.

Because it's about five steps from the kitchen to where my BBQ lives I'm just as likely to cook side stuff in the kitchen, but I do have a dirt cheap camping hot plate that I picked up from Bunnings I think. It comes in a plastic carry case and just takes big can of butane which you can get cheap in bulk.

I'll take a pic and post it, very useful when you want to be outside with the guests and don't have a sideburner :)

Cheers
yakabot

Re: Sideburner alternative

Post by yakabot »

There's quite a few members that use those to get charcoal started in charcoal chimneys.
But I get your meaning, about how handy they are. (And cheap too) Have used mine often to do bacon and eggs outside, rather than heat/smell up the kitchen.
NotoriousPIG

Post by NotoriousPIG »

I've got two at work I use to cook breakfast and lunch on. Almost had one blow up on me a few years ago though, they seem to leak from where the butane can is inserted after a while.
donburke wrote:to answer your question "what can be better"
beer & bbq is pretty darn good, but still comes in 2nd to hookers and toot
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Here is an easy alternative, just remove your flat plate!

Thats whitebait dusted in curry powder spiced flour.....mmmmm!

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
chrisg

Post by chrisg »

Hmm,

Glad folks know about them but I'd better check mine, not having used it in a while, might have to replace the butane.

My father used to rig something up with a brazing torch, one brother is a gun welder, made him a frame for it - that worked well and the torch itself was great for lighting the fires.

I'm not exactly a fan of plumbing even though my whole family is pretty building industry oriented but I might have to look and see if those torches are still around being someone has pinched my little bench standing one - useful for odd bench jobs and good for lighting the kettle but not enough heat to cook on really.

The idea of having a couple of those little burners is rather appealing though. I just moved house, major downsize but ironically the new place has some really good outdoor areas that the old one lacked and having re-purposed a tool box on wheels for a Q stand I've also taken a big steel half height cupboard that used to be in the garage and put it along side the Q. The top is just the right height for a couple of burners and useful secure storage space in the cupboard itself.

Now I need to find a chopping board that fits with the burners and I can stop having to duck to the kitchen ;)

I think with that setup I can prep and cook all the sauces I love making right by the BBQ, which seems even better than a side burner but I wouldn't really know having never had an SB :)

Christmas is a bit of a feast here so if I can do the whole lot outside I'll be very happy :)

Cheers

Edit: :) was posting whilst you put that up UG :)

Yeah, I don't have a burner unit like that, do the same on the Q I suppose but want the main course in there :)

Cheers