German Potato Salad

FRUIT N VEGGIES
stickler

German Potato Salad

Post by stickler »

This is nice and simple but delicious. I can't take any credit for it as I found it on the internoodle. I use sweet potato

German Potato Salad

• 600g desiree or sebago potatoes, washed
• 200g green beans, trimmed
• 125ml (1/2 cup) olive oil
• 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
• 80ml (1/3 cup) white wine vinegar
• 1 tbs Dijon mustard
• 1 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley

Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Add beans and cook for a further 3 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain and cool.
Meanwhile, heat 60ml (1/4 cup) oil in a frying pan over low heat. Add onion and cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until soft. Add vinegar, bring to the boil, then add 60ml (1/4 cup) water and mustard, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Thickly slice potatoes and cut beans into 1cm pieces. Combine in a bowl with vinegar mixture and parsley.

Enjoy, Nick
quacker

German Potato Salad

Post by quacker »

Thanks for posting this. Will certainly be trying it out.
Shooter03

German Potato Salad

Post by Shooter03 »

May I add chopped up pickle and diced and cooked till real crispy bacon to the recipe.
My mums German and those were always included.

Tap'n Like A Boss on my 5 while grilling on my Weber!
Bill44

Re: German Potato Salad

Post by Bill44 »

Sounds like a good one stickler, but in my opinion the best potato to use in any potato salad is Kipfler, not always obtainable in which case the Desiree as you suggest.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
stickler

Post by stickler »

Shooter03 wrote:May I add chopped up pickle and diced and cooked till real crispy bacon to the recipe.
that sounds awesome, would be interesting to see how the bacon goes with the vinegar and mustard. Sweetness of the pickle would be a good balance for them.
Bill44 wrote:the best potato to use in any potato salad is Kipfler, not always obtainable in which case the Desiree as you suggest
I always use sweet potato, white potatoes and my wife don't mix. Her belly swells up like a balloon :D , same with white rice.
sydking

Post by sydking »

I grew up on a very very similar potato salad, Very nice.

I also like to do them hot with olive oil, Balsamic vinegar and salt!!! Simple....but nice.