Greasy fingered noob

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
fattyboombatty

Greasy fingered noob

Post by fattyboombatty »

* such a noob I originally posted this in the wrong forum - nice! *

Greetings all. Been lurking here pretty hard for the past few days so I figured I better sign up and start contributing

Looking to get in to smoking. All of the information on this site is fantastic, and has helped me narrow down my smoker choices, if not almost drowned me in drool. I don't currently have a smoker but have done some slow and low on my weber Q, which gives consistent temps if not a lot of smoke out of a little stainless box that I put on the grill.

Got permission from the boss to pick up a unit, or at least she didn't protest enough to make me stop. Tormenting myself between the all the choices, but living where I do, there are some limits on what can be done in a fiscally responsive manner. I'm leaning towards the charcoal method, either in a vertical water smoker or kamado. I have my eye on a BGE being offered up on Gumtree and barring that have scoping out of costs of getting a Pro Q delivered via the urbangriller or getting a WSM locally (even though no one seems to want my business - another story all together). The Hark Tri Fire has my eye too, but being my first unit, I am looking for something that's easy to operate and control - plus I would like to be able to take whatever I get on camping trips.

I've really enjoyed going through all of the info here and appreciate that we have a knowledge source like this available for Australians. Thanks - and I look forward to contributing more once I have something to work with
titch

Re: Greasy fingered noob

Post by titch »

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your venture.
Chers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

fattyboombatty wrote:
I've really enjoyed going through all of the info here and appreciate that we have a knowledge source like this available for Australians. Thanks - and I look forward to contributing more once I have something to work with
Hi and Welcome.
Some pics of the Weber Q would be a great contribution. :)
Hmmm-- which smoker to get. A bit of a dilemma as there is so much choice nowdays.
I'll leave that to those who are more knowledgeable in that area than me.
Good luck with your researching.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
titch

Post by titch »

Where are you from?
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
fattyboombatty

Post by fattyboombatty »

Ha - ok, forgot the first rule of images. Here's one I took to torment the brother in law from the last cook on the weber

I'm on the Central Coast, NSW - don't want to be more specific in case someone pinches the BGE before I have a chance to look at it :lol:
titch

Post by titch »

Good Stuff.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Cool Fatty!

Welcome!

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

For real smoking You cant beat the WSM or Pro Q.
For at home only you can add a kamado.
For travel, Of the three the Pro Q stands out,
I have a WSM and I like it but I would flip it for a pro Q in a heart beat as they have more flexability.
Dr Sweetsmoke travels to AU from the UK with ProQ's , so they pack.
They also have hanging racks under the lid that I could use.

Welcom to the forum
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
Meat and eat

Post by Meat and eat »

fattyboombatty wrote:Ha - ok, forgot the first rule of images. Here's one I took to torment the brother in law from the last cook on the weber
You are tormenting me too with a photo like that, :lol:
Looks like you only had a couple hours left to go before devouring that lot.
Nice pic thanks.

Cheers

Meat and eat
"My mind is made up. Please don't confuse me with facts."
fattyboombatty

Post by fattyboombatty »

Thanks for the welcomes

The ribs from that round did come out pretty good, just no smoke flavour worth noting - that's why I want to get a proper tool.

On a related note - what do you guys do to procure your ribs? I find availability is spotty at best, and when they are around, they're in smaller quantities and ridiculously expensive (at least for what I'm used to) - $18-$25/kilo for bones with not meat on them. Moved to Aus from Canada 7 years ago - over there, the ribs were a cheaper cut $5-$8/kilo and had more meat - definitely easier to cook without drying out
Hogsy

Post by Hogsy »

Another Coastie WooHoo
Welcome to the forum
What end of the coast are you from? North or south?
I might be able to suggest a few butchers especially if your interested in cooking some brisket or pulled pork
Cheers
Hogsy
Viva La Charcoal Revolution
Team Go To Jail - Lifetime member!
yakabot

Post by yakabot »

Well i was going to give you a nice big welcome, and then I scrolled down and saw that feast you cooked up, and now I;m jealous and don't want to talk to you. :x
But seeing as you're new to this country, what the hell.
Welcome. Just kidding with ya. I too am new here and have no real idea where to start. Have a weber and never even thought about trying to smoke stuff in it.
See. I read another thread and learn another thing. Problem is my head is almost full. :mrgreen:
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

Welcome Fattyboom, another Coaster eh. We'll soon have enough for a group buy of charcoal if we can convince the gassers to join the Dark Side. :D
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.
Yeahbut

Post by Yeahbut »

Welcome fatty,
I'm a noob here also, still learning a lot from reading this forum, and I think my head IS full...

Yeahbut
fattyboombatty

Post by fattyboombatty »

Yeahbut wrote: ... and I think my head IS full...
Your belly too I bet. Gotta love the this board - great inspiration

Doing a pulled pork, slaw and cowboy beans tonight. Got some tips from a board member about how to get a better smoke out of the Weber Q (thanks Meat and eat) - will give that a go and publish the results (if it's good - will post pics of kittens if it fails)