Hi and Thanks

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
FlamingDuck

Hi and Thanks

Post by FlamingDuck »

Hi everyone

I am in the UK, back here after many years overseas including the last 7 in Australia. I didn't have a bbq in Oz, as everyone I knew had one and seemed such experts, there was no need! I decided to treat myself to a Weber gas bbq on arrival in the UK last June much to the amusement of friends and rellies who said I'd only get to use it once a year. Around the same time the oven in our new house rental was completely borked and the landlord would not replace it (long story, it heated but I could not get a steady temperature and so I gave up). I have used the bbq since then and in all weathers, guided totally by this forum. There is nothing I can't cook on the bbq now and I just want to thank everyone for all their tips and instructions. I really enjoy bbqing and i can't wait to get back to Oz and show my friends that I too can wield The Tongs! :mrgreen:

The new oven arrived yesterday and I keep staring at it, wondering what to use it for.

Thanks again
FlamingDuck
PS My user name is related to my first attempt at bbqing, before I found this site! Was nearly the first duck in space I reckon.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Hi and Thanks

Post by Davo »

Flaming Duck,

Thankyou for your kind words about the forum and how it's helped you in your time here. :D

It's a shame that you didn't become an active member when you were here and join in with some of the BBQ Banter but we do have a lot of people who lurk around the forum getting info here and there and that's all good because that means we've helped someone make a decision on what to do and how to do it and what to buy.
This Foum has grown enormously over the last 4-5 yrs and all started out with one guy who knew a bit about computers and programming and both he and his wife are dedicated cooks and as there was no Australian BBQ forum at the time (mostly all American) he created this from scratch using a commonly used forum format.

Captain Cook (Phil) and Myself were the original 2 members apart from the creator (PaulR) after being invited from the Virtual Weber bullet forum site and we both are avid Weber enthusiasts but Phil more-so due to he being a Weber demo guy long before I got into it.

Wow...and how this forum has grown..... :shock:

It has all came at a good time too because there has been so much activity in the Australian BBQ market with so many new products being available, new ways of doing things, lots of media attention to BBQ with many of the celebrity chefs on TV putting their spin on the way Australians BBQ these days and it has become so much more than chucking a few snags on a hotplate :lol: :lol:

It's great you bought a Weber on your arrival back home, but just because your back in the Old Dart, doesn't mean you don't have to stick around, we'd love you to join in with our topics and let us all know how the Brits BBQ as well....oh and we'll have to see you adding to your collection with some Charcoal cooking as well...always good to have a Weber kettle nearby for some versatility.

Cheers

Davo
(Admin- Moderator)
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

Flaming Duck

Welcome from down under as you would know it :!:

You should be looking out for DrSweetsmoke over there and trying some of his sauces and cooks if you can
flamingduck wrote:PS My user name is related to my first attempt at bbqing, before I found this site! Was nearly the first duck in space I reckon.
Creates a great imaginary picture :) of what may have happened, pity there are no pics

Glenn
Last edited by Livewire on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Welcome Duckie!

What Weber did you buy?...the Q?

Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
FlamingDuck

Post by FlamingDuck »

Thanks for the welcomes. Davo thanks for the site history, I really think it is the best bbq resource that I have found and am always sending people to your site. Ironically I have had Aussie guests at our bbqs and they start asking me for advice! The reason I have not really participated on the forum is that I don't feel anywhere near an expert, nor have anything new to share. But I am quite an experimental cook so if i do think there is anything to share (or warn about!), I will definitely post.

Glenn, I usually take photos of everything, but on the day of the Flaming Duck, I was more concerned about getting the gas off and praying for the inferno to recede before the house went up! There has also been an incident of pork cracklin cremation where I put it back on "to crisp up" and which clearly I need some expert advice on. My husband, the carnivore, almost wept at this error.

I actually don't eat meat (am otherwise quite normal) but I quite enjoy cooking it for others, and recently tried the brining (instructons on this site) for a cheaper cut of beef and it was well-praised. Maybe I can contribute to the veggie section.

Chris, our Weber is a 310 (on the inside panel, sorry instruction book elsewhere). Has three burners. (Spirit?).

I am thinking of getting a small charcoal bbq for taste comparison, but this has not been met with enthusiasm as our garden is quite small.

Thanks again
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

FlamingDuck wrote:Thanks for the welcomes. Davo thanks for the site history, I really think it is the best bbq resource that I have found and am always sending people to your site. Ironically I have had Aussie guests at our bbqs and they start asking me for advice! The reason I have not really participated on the forum is that I don't feel anywhere near an expert, nor have anything new to share. But I am quite an experimental cook so if i do think there is anything to share (or warn about!), I will definitely post.

Glenn, I usually take photos of everything, but on the day of the Flaming Duck, I was more concerned about getting the gas off and praying for the inferno to recede before the house went up! There has also been an incident of pork cracklin cremation where I put it back on "to crisp up" and which clearly I need some expert advice on. My husband, the carnivore, almost wept at this error.

I actually don't eat meat (am otherwise quite normal) but I quite enjoy cooking it for others, and recently tried the brining (instructons on this site) for a cheaper cut of beef and it was well-praised. Maybe I can contribute to the veggie section.

Chris, our Weber is a 310 (on the inside panel, sorry instruction book elsewhere). Has three burners. (Spirit?).

I am thinking of getting a small charcoal bbq for taste comparison, but this has not been met with enthusiasm as our garden is quite small.

Thanks again
Welcome Duckie,
You say you dont have anything to contribute?
My Lovely would fall over if I ever cooked her a totally veg meal :lol:
Bring it on Duckie and change my ways :twisted:
Should be warming up in the UK about now. Lots of pics please, Particularly of the produce and ingredients. Im always interested in other countries available produce.
If trees screamed when we cut them down, We wouldn't. If they screamed all the time we would.
http://www.aussiecue.com.au
FlamingDuck

Post by FlamingDuck »

OK Mick, promise to get some veggo ideas happening. Picked up a couple of Ottolenghi books last week (Plenty and The Cookbook) and although not bbq books, many new taste ideas for veg and meat dishes (Plenty is all vegetarian).

Had to get used to the Uk supermarkets again after Australia. They have great choice all year round, and I would say a bigger selection (due to larger population of course) than Australia, but honestly, I would love to have some real food markets here. Victoria Markets in Melbourne were wonderful, and I used to go to Caboolture markets on a Sunday, when I lived in Brisbane, for local seasonal produce. They have "farmer's markets" here, but so far I have not been impressed, maybe I should try a few more. There are also local farm shops where the produce seems fresher and most of it local. Otherwise search the shelves of the mega supermarkets and you see fruit and vegetables from around the world (most of it is fresh enough, but, much of the imported stuff has been on a ship unripened or in cold storage from what i can see).

Have managed to do some travel in Europe and particularly Italy. There is a whole different attitude to food in the area I went to (Liguria) and it is local local local and the very best seasonal produce available. Did not see one supermarket the whole time. So my suitcase home was full of fruit, veggies, bread, pasta, pesto and other Italian produce. There are no major regulations about bringing food from one EU country to another. I think there may be a 10kg limit on meat. I was "persuaded" to bring back a leg of Ibericho ham last year from Spain. Felt a bit uncomfotable, hoof and all in my suitcase!

One thing I make myself (here and before in Australia) and use frequently for bbqing (inside chicken, with pumpkin in foil, w fish etc) is Preserved Lemons, using the salt method. Recipes and uses on the web, but they are really easy to do and great if you have a lemon tree in the garden or a supply locally of unsprayed lemons. Tastewise, a little goes a long way!

Anyway, must stop rambling and plan next bbq!

Have a great weekend y'all

F.D.
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

flamin' 'ell...............FlamingDuck,

first orf, welcome

now on to serious stuff...................maaaaaaate you need to go and purchase that kettle youes been thinking about. once you have charcoaled.....the weber 301 will be covered and become just a bad memory of yours dayze using farts to cook on..... :twisted: :twisted: 8)

don't worry we will learn ya real proper. kettle boy, and a few others will walk you through any scary stuff

true story................. :wink:

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
FlamingDuck

Post by FlamingDuck »

Maaaaaaaaate! Thanks for welcome Kevin. 14 days of rain and no break forecast until middle of May! Still ok to use charcoal? I have no idea but thought this weather may be a problem for getting/keeping it lit, storage of fuel etc. Happy to be re-educated if I am wrong :? But I will be trying charcoal as I want to taste the difference and see if i can control temperature etc. Just waiting for our annual two days of Summer (it is possible we had them in March).

FD
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

use ya brollies to get the inital start up then the lid will keep that liquid sunshine orf............see it is workin' for ya already..................and kettle boy has not added his 2 bob's worth yet....

kevin
Livewire

Post by Livewire »

Commander Cody wrote:now on to serious stuff...................maaaaaaate kevin
Psst Kevin

"Maaaaate's" a shelia sooos youuuus better call her "Sisssssssss"

Glenn
Kamado slow it goes as those lovely red embers glow
Royal Kamado, Weber Kettle K: 1988, Weber OTG DD:2000, Coolabah Mini Spit and 4 B Gasser
Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

Livewire wrote:
Commander Cody wrote:now on to serious stuff...................maaaaaaate kevin
Psst Kevin

"Maaaaate's" a shelia sooos youuuus better call her "Sisssssssss"

Glenn
what Glenn, you aint never mated a shelia before..??.. geeze get over yourself fella.

kevin
FlamingDuck

Post by FlamingDuck »

OK so I am easily persuaded and bought a used Weber 57cm (bargain at 15 quid, hardly used!). They seem to be getting along while we wait for the rain to stop...

ps cooking grill a bit rusty, best to buy a new one? Or worth scrubbing w wire wool?
titch

Post by titch »

Wire Wool or just plain fire, then wipe with a bit of oil.
Use it enough it will get a nice seal on it.
Cheers.
Titch
Cheers
Titch
Bill44

Post by Bill44 »

titch wrote:Wire Wool or just plain fire, then wipe with a bit of oil.
Use it enough it will get a nice seal on it.
Cheers.
Titch
That's what I did with the $36.00 one I got, looked like they had only ever cooked direct in the middle. Bit of a scrub, bit of oil, bit of heat, and I was in business.
Bill
Cast Iron Hibachi
Jackeroo Mini Spit
18 1/2" kettle
57cm Kettle
6 Burner Gasser sausage sizzler only.