Hi everyone

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
Narmnaleg

Hi everyone

Post by Narmnaleg »

Hi everyone,

I've been BBQing on a $500 BBQs-galore job for 8 years. I've been using it at least once a week to cook my favourite steak (TBone, aged for 2 weeks at 0 degrees) and really had enough of the hotspots and flare ups. I finally decided to take the plunge and go for a quality BBQ (to match the meat) so that I could also roast in it without fear of the hood catching alight :)
At this point (during my research) you lot come in! I found this forum to be by far the best place for fair and honest advice. Not only that, but the knowledge that you guys have is a source of inspiration and I hope to soon "grill" you for tips and advice on how to make the best out of my new purchase.
Yesterday I bought a Genesis E320 (ETA end of the week) and a whole heap of extras. The first extra I got was the Weber poultry dish-thingy as I can't wait to cook a roast-chook.
Obviously, I've got a lot to learn, could I start by asking for any advice to roasting the best Chook and potatoes? (or if you could point me to a thread that already covered this topic)

Cheers,
N arm n a leg
Commander Cody

Re: Hi everyone

Post by Commander Cody »

love the handle,

just sit back with beer in hand and you will be swamped with advice.... 8) ....

congrats on your purchase..................

and welcome.

kevin
....up in smoke.....that's where my money goes.....
urbangriller

Post by urbangriller »

Welcome to the forum.

Here are a couple of good leads to start:

Roast Spuds:
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtop ... =27&t=1831

Chook:
The Captains Gourmet BBQ Brined Chicken
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65

or My Master Stock Chicken:
http://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=447

Cheers
Chris
Common Sense is so rare these days it should be a Super Power!
Captain Cook

Post by Captain Cook »

Narnaleg
Hi mate and welcome - love the name must be what the genesis cost you. mate i gotta say your just going to love that BBQ, It is a dream to cook on. remember you always cook with the lid down. No hotspots the whole surface is the cooking area. I never use a hot plate on mine.

Now on to cooking a chook. Mate everyone here will give you an opinion/recipe for cooking a chook and guess what - everyone will be right, there are so many different ways and the way that we all right is the way we think is the best. That's what I love about this forum. But to be honest the way that I advocate has really got to be the best by far, its tried and true. If you go to the poultry section of the Recipes area and click onto the Gourmet Brined Chicken that is with out a doubt the best way.

If you go to the gas section and check out my post A guide to different cooking methods viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1847 you will think that the post was written especially for you.

Welcome Mate and don't forget to join the ABBQA (Australian BBQ Association)

Cheers

Phil aka Captain Cook.
Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Thanks everyone for your warm welcome and pointing me in the right direction.
Thanks a lot for the links Chris, that master stock sounds wonderful. I'll have to try it one of these days. I've placed an order on your website for one of the lovely leather mits and vegie grill plate. They look great.

Spot on Captain, Narmnaleg is exactly how much it hurt to shell out for the Genesis, best I could do was get $200 worth of credits to pay for some of the accessories. I'm sure the financial pain will be well worth it and I plan to follow your steak recipe for my first Weber Tbone. Cooking with the hood down is a new experience and I'm really looking forward to it. Only thing I'll have to adapt from the recipe is the cooking time since the steaks I usually get are 2 inches thick (I like it rare). One of the things I also usually do is rub the steak with coarse sea salt (I grind it in a mortar and pestle) and let it be absorbed for half an hour at room temperature. Due to the thickness of the meat, the salty outside flavours each mouthful. I'd never tried the butter at the end and when I read it is just made my mouth water (as did the lamb recipe).

I'll definitely follow the Captain's brine chicken recipe. I'm starving!!! :)
One question Phil: when you say to put the barbie on "high", do you mean as high as it will go?

Cheers,
Namrnaleg
bbqmad

Post by bbqmad »

Hi & welcome fellow Bbq nut

Another 320 owner here, yes your gonna love cooking on this baby. I can see your already getting all the great advise you need......how good and how quick is that.

I do love the work the 320 does i would take a chance and say i dont think theres anything you cant cook on it, however once you master that you'll have to come over to the charcoal brother cooker.

Glen
If we weren't supposed to eat animals then why do they taste so good
Weber Platinum
Weber Kettle 22.5"
Bar-b-chef Texas Smoker
Weber Genesis
Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Narmnaleg wrote: I've been using it at least once a week to cook my favourite steak (TBone, aged for 2 weeks at 0 degrees)
Lots of good advice here from guys like me who just consider themselves cooks, to guys & gals that with their advice and pictures you will swear they are Classiclly trained Chef's! It is a fun and informative place...I too like to age my beef, I will assume that is 0°C which I believe is 32°F? Not worried to low? I try and stay between 36-38°F. I also prefer Wet aging to Dry, which do you use?
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!

Narmnaleg

Post by Narmnaleg »

Bentley wrote: Lots of good advice here from guys like me who just consider themselves cooks, to guys & gals that with their advice and pictures you will swear they are Classiclly trained Chef's! It is a fun and informative place...I too like to age my beef, I will assume that is 0°C which I believe is 32°F? Not worried to low? I try and stay between 36-38°F. I also prefer Wet aging to Dry, which do you use?
Hi Bentley,
unfortunately I don't have the right freezer/fridge so I can't age the meat myself. I also must admit to not knowing if the butcher I buy it from ages it wet or dry. I can confirm that it is 0°C though.
I have found the meat to be incredibly tender and full of flavour. One day I hope to be able to do a comparison.

Cheers,
Fab.
Bentley

Post by Bentley »

Dry or wet aging will do that...Some say the flavor is more intense in the Dry aging, I have not found that to be the case and I hate the waste of long 21-28 day dry aging..
Burnt By The Best
Competition BBQ Team

Fresno State University
Go Dogs!