Hi from Tassie

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
Agrius

Hi from Tassie

Post by Agrius »

Hi, I’m Tom and live in northern Tas.
Thanks for adding me to the forum. Looking forward to meeting like minded people and learning some new skills, ideas, rubs etc.
Cook on a kettle on the weekend and looking at getting a gasser to complement the set up allowing for quicker meals and something a little different, also open up week day BBQs. Prob the Weber Spirit or Genesis - thoughts?

Cheers,
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Hi from Tassie

Post by Davo »

Hi and welcome Tom,

I guess it depends on how many you usually cook for and how've you've used the Gas BBQs before, but if I was the one that has to choose and if money wasn't really a budget thing, then I'd go the 4 burner Genesis over the Spirit. The Spirit was introduced some time ago to compete with other BBQ brands that had been made in China and so is the Spirit under Weber Quality control, it's still a very good unit but the Genesis and the Summit range of gas BBQs were made in USA.

They also have a huge BTU advantage over say the Family Q range and could be ok with the lid up grilling but Weber weren't designed for lid up grilling as the more traditional Aussie BBQs were but once you learn the art and trusted your BBQ, you won't go back to the old way.
I ended up selling my Q320 family Q and don't have a gas BBQ at all now, I just go charcoal, have 3 kettles including a little Jumbo Joe for portability.

I've found over the many years of owning BBQs, you buy quality first and you won't have to worry about replacement for a long time and that is why I buy Weber.

Happy BBQing :D

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Agrius

Post by Agrius »

Hi Davo,

Thanks for the welcome.
Yes I think I’ll be going down the route of the Genesis. Like you mention - buy quality and it will last.

I’m thinking between the Genesis LX340 (discontinued product which is now on sale for $1699) or the new Genesis E315. Apart from the side burner I can see that the LX has a higher hood, tad more BTU and the high+ heat. On the fence if the $200 is worth it. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Tom
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I guess you've got to consider if you'll actually need or use a side burner, they are usually used for simmering down bastes and or marinades which mostly get done in the kitchen anyway, or sometimes they are used for making sides like baked beans but that's mostly an American thing (or is that thang!! :lol: ) maybe a pan doing stuff like mushrooms or onions etc. I wouldn't use it as a charcoal starter station as those side burners won't take that much heat.

So unless you need a side burner, I'd go the LX with the higher lid.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Agrius

Post by Agrius »

Fully agree with you Dave about the side burner. It’s prob something I’d never use (maybe once to just justify that “I’ve got a side burner”. I’ll just use my kitchen.

Just to confirm -
LX340 = higher hood, the “high+” burner system (which i don’t understand what it is), a few more BTU and side burner.
@$1699 (discontinued price. RRP was $1999)

E320 = the new genesis. 3 burner no side burner. Apparently it’s a little taller? A randomly Weber reduced the BTU output slightly (by ~2000 BTU)
@$1499