Hi from Scotland Island Sydney.

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
Fishfingers

Hi from Scotland Island Sydney.

Post by Fishfingers »

Hi everyone
Just a quick hello from the northern beaches of Sydney.
I look forward to expanding my knowledge and skills re smoking meats, dry rubs and slow cooks.
Our family has renamed the day after Saturday as Smoking Sunday and all enjoy our end of the week treat.
I vary our meats each week and in the past month have dry rubbed and slow cooked and smoked, pork knuckles, chicken pieces, a delicious lamb shoulder and beef rump.
Although they have all been plate licking meal I cant wait to read other peoples ideas, recipes and get some more ideas from the knowledgeable people on this site.
Thanks for your acceptance.
Fishfingers
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Hi from Scotland Island Sydney.

Post by Davo »

Hi Fishfingers,

Lovely part of Sydney I must say......I'm in the St George area :cry: :lol:

Yeah smoking meat is fun, remember smoke is a spice, so many different woods go with different foods as does many types of rubs.

Low and slow is a challenge for the impatient.

What kind of BBQs you use Fishfingers? I'm primarily a Weber man myself, nothing you can't do with a Weber I reckon but of course there's other brands and types. You use mostly Gas, charcoal or wood BBQs?

Great thing about Sydney is that it's easy to BBQ all year round except in Eastcoast lows and Aussies will drink beer in any weather :lol:

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Fishfingers

Post by Fishfingers »

Hi Davo
I am blessed to live here and have been blessed for over 20 years.
I have been smoking meats for a real long time and am after different rubs to try something different.
Just eaten a 6 hour slow cooked beef rump marinated by Woolies and kids and missus are still licking their plates. Low and slow equals YUMMMMMM :D
Have to do a fishing charter tomorrow so our Smoking Sunday has to be a Smoking Saturday this week.
My normal guide for smoking is to use hickory or oak for beef, mystique and hickory for a bit of a change. Mystique for chicken or pecan, apple, cherry for pork and use mystique combined with cherry and pecan for lamb.
I am blessed to own a 3 burner covered stainless steel Barbecue Factory bbq that I have been using for some 24 years. This gas barbie is brilliant and I get a great flavour from any smoking I do attempt.
You are right that Sydney is a great place to bbq at any time of the year. Instead of drinking beer though I make a few spirits and love to have a rum or two after 3 pm when excitingly waiting for the tucker to finish.
Thanks for your welcome and look forward to reading your posts in the future.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Have you had a good read in the archived posts of this forum, theres a lot of knowledge there from members past however this forum is a bit quiet these days as members have gone elsewhere to other forums and facebook. I've been trying to build up the base again but not having much luck ....never mind, less work for me to do :lol:

My favourite rub is Mad Hunky General Purpose rub because it's not overpowering and it's a good balanced rub. It's from the US and I think it's still available here. I bought the last batch from BBQ Aroma in Leichhardt. But he has a lot of other rubs in his store as well.

https://www.bbqaroma.com.au/

Most BBQ Stores will sell you the rubs they have online so theres no real need to drive anywhere these days. There's just so many rubs on the Internet now or if you want to make you're own which you'll find more satisfying, check out all the making BBQ rub videos on Youtube.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Hi Fishfingers, we used to live on the Northern Beaches Dee Why and Beacon Hill.... We moved up North to Queensland (Sunshine Coast) but still keep in contact with our many friends on the beaches (Go Manly).
As far as smoking goes I just use (sometimes too much) wood chips luv my hickory flavour. If you have the space try to get a smoker (even if its a Hark knock-off from aldi). I generally smoke on my KK but not everyone has one fo those....

Its Sunday.... What did you cook?

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Charstone1

Post by Charstone1 »

Hi Fishfingers,

Good to read about your BBQ factory grill (now Tucker) as I'm considering buying one. They are pricey but look good and you can't argue with 24 years of service.

Yep, our kind of smoking is not a health hazard! :D

Cheers,

CS