Hello from Melbourne!

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
matb

Hello from Melbourne!

Post by matb »

Hi everyone,

Great forum - felt I had to join given the increasing obsession I have with grilling meat over charcoal.

I got my first taste of real charcoal grilled beef in Argentina, Uruguay & Chile some years back and fell in love. About two years ago my wife's uncle built me a small BBQ with an adjustable height grill, which I love. Since getting it, I've only used my big gas 7 burner as a bench to sit the small one in (and close the lid for smoking).
IMG20171207201207.jpg
IMG20171207201207.jpg (212 KiB) Viewed 10101 times
Now I'm at the stage where I'm just about ready to start building a new BBQ area, and I want to build something boss to insert into a bench. After lots of thinking, I've decided on the Parrilla/Gaucho grill style. I'll design and build this with my old man. Does anyone have any information / knowledge about best metal types for the grill? Will mild steel be suitable? If this has already been answered, please let me know. I had a search and found a great thread by another Melburnian with the coolest parrilla grill build. Perhaps I should do a second post in the right section.

Look forward to sharing and viewing.

Cheers!