Hi from Central Coast NSW

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
Drew71

Hi from Central Coast NSW

Post by Drew71 »

Just wanted to say hello to All!

I have been looking through the forums for a bit and decided to sign up. Currently have, and have had way too many Q's and I'm downsizing now. Got rid of my Webber kettles, cypress grill, Everdure Gas, and cheap offsets etc.

I use an old beefeater Rock, which is a ceramic kamado, some other brand rebadged I think. I love it and have been really into Aldi and Costco brisket this year, doing one or two most weekends, with some ribs, chooks and pork.

I have a Beefeater Signature 3 burner for quick weeknight steaks and such. I was given it, and I have been using while I cleaned it up, fixed some things and improved where I could. Was chasing parts, and I somehow ended up with 4 of them, so my plan is to have two side by side, one gas, and one either just charcoal or with a charcoal tray I can put in and take out.

Also slowly building an LPG tank offset and a stainless ugly drum smoker, but too many projects and not enough time, so its slow going.

Loving the forum, thanks for letting me in!
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Hi from Central Coast NSW

Post by Davo »

Welcome Drew

Sounds as though you're not only good on the BBQs but also good on the tools too, something I never inherited from my Dad :lol: I'm bloody hopeless, 2 left thumbs and all that.

I've also downsized over the years, at one stage having 6 BBQs including a massive woodpellet grill, but I had to sell it and been kicking myself ever since lol. But now I only have a Weber Performer Kettle, A Family Q and a small Weber Jumbo Joe. It does me now for what I do on the BBQs these days,

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Drew71 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:53 am

I have a Beefeater Signature 3 burner ... I somehow ended up with 4 of them, so my plan is to have two side by side, one gas, and one either just charcoal or with a charcoal tray I can put in and take out.

Also slowly building an LPG tank offset and a stainless ugly drum smoker...
Welcome aboard!

I'm keen to see ya side by side set up when finished. Any progress pics?

What's a "LPG tank offset'?

And

What's a 'ugly drum smoker'?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

BBQ-Dad wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:49 am
Drew71 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:53 am

I have a Beefeater Signature 3 burner ... I somehow ended up with 4 of them, so my plan is to have two side by side, one gas, and one either just charcoal or with a charcoal tray I can put in and take out.

Also slowly building an LPG tank offset and a stainless ugly drum smoker...
Welcome aboard!

I'm keen to see ya side by side set up when finished. Any progress pics?

What's a "LPG tank offset'?

And

What's a 'ugly drum smoker'?

BBQ Dad, I think a LPG Tank offset is by using a larger (than usual domestic use standards) LPG Tank and cutting it up using the Barrel of the tank as the cooking chamber, slicing out a door and place hinges on it, weld in lugs or sliders for food shelves to slide in or out and cut off part of one end and place a smaller gas tank on the side as the burner end.....like a texas offset cooker arrangement.

A UDS or Ugly Drum Smoker is by using a 44 Gallon drum, placing a few levels of food racks inside and the fire down the bottom...usually the fire is a fari way from the food to prevent flare-ups.

I used to use my Weber Smokey Mountain cooker this way sometimes, by taking out the waterpan and building a hot fire below and allow the driping of the meat juices to create the smoke...great with chicken. With a UDS though, due to it's overall size, rather than using charcoal, most people use natural wood and have to burn it down for some time to create coals. The top of the 44 Gal drum is used for the lid but usually has the edge of the lid folded so as to create strength and not slice you to bits on the sharp edges.....never used one but seen some backyard jobs.

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Drew71

Post by Drew71 »

Hi Guys and thanks for the welcome.

Davo is 100% right. An offset or texas style smoker made from the LPG tank of a Ford Falcon
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/74/b6/8c/74b6 ... 0fb7cf.jpg (not my picture)

And something similar to a commercially available pit barrel cooker
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/strathf ... 1188672638
Just in stainless as I picked up a few drums for nothing.

I started these projects before I got back into the Beefeater Kamado style cooker again, so they have sat for a while.

I will try and take some pics tomorrow, I never usually think to do that, always busy with projects.

Cheers

Drew