Hello from a newby

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
balone

Hello from a newby

Post by balone »

Hi Guys,

Newbie here who's been watching a bunch of BBQ pit-master shows on Netflix and has decided to give it a crack.

I've cooked a few BBQ's on our Beefeater BUGG but i'm really keen to try cooking some steaks on charcoals.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on some decent non-professional charcoal bbq's? I was looking at the Weber Original Premium Kettle. Not sure if the extra $50 would be worth it for the gourmet Barbecue system grill taking it from $449 to $499 though.

My other question would be, would lump or briquette coal be better for cooking some rib-eye's/tomahawks?

Thanks for your help and glad to be a party of the forum.

Cheers
B
titch

Re: Hello from a newby

Post by titch »

Welcome
Cant help on the Gourmet system, i use a hinged grill and am happy with it
I use Charcoal for high temp grilling, burns hotter than beads.
Cheers
Titch
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

The grill gauge is larger in the gourmet.

The hole in the middle is good to put a wok in.

The normal grill will last for years.

If you don't really care to cook with a wok. I would keep the change.

Which is better briquettes or lump?

Both are good if you buy decent briquettes such as heat beads and quality lump.

Buy the cheap charcoal and basically you're wasting your hard earnt money putting steak on the grill.

Briquettes are easier to use as they are a standard size and heat output.

So try some heat beads original. Once you get the hang of that. Add some nice big chunks of smoking wood like hickory to your cook. Use chunks as chips just burst into flames. Don't forget to rotate the steaks so you get some nice criss-cross grill marks.

Cook thick steaks @3-4cm. Keep it simple. Salt and pepper rub.

Buy a charcoal chimney. Fastest way to get hot coals for the kettle.

Try roast pork on the kettle. Best crackling ever!
balone

Post by balone »

Thanks for the tips. I might stick with the normal grill as I don't really cook with a wok.

In regards to the coals, I've seen videos where people put it on 1 side of the bbq to sear the meat, and then transfer the meat over to the half of the kettle that has no coals - so the meat isn't directly over the coals.

Is this how you'd recommend cooking a 3-4cm steak?

Oh and in regards to the pork belly. My uncle did one a few weeks ago. That along with some videos of steaks being done on coals, really made me want to try.
BBQ-Dad

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your BBQ endeavours. I can't help you with any info or tips. I'm a steak flippin old school bbq user...

But. Just wanted to say g'day and welcome aboard.

Keep us posted with your research, use and learning curve.