G’day from Bunbury WA

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
clive

G’day from Bunbury WA

Post by clive »

Total new to smoking here, I am getting some stainless beer barrels from a friend and am hoping they will be suitable for a smoker build. At this stage I will make a mild steel firebox and weld it to the stainless barrel using 309 rods. I am a retired fitter turner/ boilermaker having trade cert in both trades and have a good workshop. I will shamelessly pick everyones brain to fillthe void in mine about smoking. Looking forward to learning a lot. Clive
BBQ-Dad

Re: G’day from Bunbury WA

Post by BBQ-Dad »

Hey Clive, I'm a newbie here too ... stumbled in doing research for our new BBQ.

It's a bit of a ghost town in here, so don't take it personally if you don't get much response to posts or questions.

I'm no use to you, being an old skool steak flipper and snag burner, my knowledge of your planned style of cooking is zip, zero, zilch. Well, almost, maybe our roast effort could be classed as a 'smoking' style of cooking :wink:

Keep us posted with your build.

Again,the whole welding, construction, materials, tips n tricks, you sound like you'll have under control and any tips from me will be worthless. My only tips is remember, even if it's your own project, keep up the safety and use PPE. I know that only WAY too well. :oops:
clive

Re: G’day from Bunbury WA

Post by clive »

Thanks for the response, I’m pretty sure of what I’m going to do construction wise, there is a wealth of info on youtube, hopefully all the rub herbs will be available. Not 100% dure about the stainless keg, I loathe stainless as a material, it walks all over the place when you weld it, might be easier to roll the same diameter in mild steel. Time will tell.