Newby from Balwyn

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
Kenneth237

Newby from Balwyn

Post by Kenneth237 »

Guys

I am slowly converting to the low and slow method of cooking.
Maybe as I get older the relaxed pace suits me better.

I currently have a Q220 that is the go to for most meat cooking but doesn't do low and slow!
I have an Ozpig that does a reasonable chicken on the rotisserie but shines as a camp cooker and heater!
I have also inherited the family's 35 yo spit and that has been used successfully for all types of meat.

Maybe it's because I'm bored but I am looking at low and slow.
I was tossing up between a lightly used pit barrel on Gumtree for $250 or a Dusty Moose for $250.
Decided on the Moose as I think it suited me better.
However today I dropped in to a local BBQ store and they had a demo Saffire Ceramic for under $600.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!!!

Anyway which ever way I go Christmas is going to be a meat fest!

Ken
peersy

Re: Newby from Balwyn

Post by peersy »

Hey!
I'm in a similar boat. Have the Weber Q and looking for a low and slow charcoal cooker.
There are a few 37cm WSM but I stumbled upon the Dusty Moose yesterday online, it looks great value and bigger being 47cm diameter. There are a couple of reviews online and read up very well.
Good luck with the decision!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Haven't seen the Dusty moose in the flesh as yet however I have seen WSM, Pro-Q and Fornetto and whilst I'll always maintain that you just can't go past the durability, solidness and workability of the Weber WSM, the other 2 would be a decent choice too. Many Comp teams have had great success out of the WSM and Pro-Q and they'd have to be sturdy due to all the shifting around from site to site but with a bullet style water smoker, they are easy to dismantle and transport in your car or trailer and they don't weigh a tonne.

I highly recommend the Bullet style smokers, easy to learn and easy to cook with and relatively cheap to cook lots of meat on.

Weber WSM have a 10 year warranty on them,

https://www.weberbbq.com.au/barbecues/c ... in-cooker/
https://www.weberbbq.com.au/barbecues/c ... in-cooker/

Might be only 4 inches but theres a massive size difference between the 22.5 and the 18.5 in width and height and the amount of goodies it can cook. only $250 more for the bigger bugger :D

https://proqsmokers.com.au/
I Found that the smaller Pro-Q felt too flimsey...worth looking at the larger 20 inch version.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/fornetto-18 ... r_p3180796
These seem ok in the flesh but not seen them operate as yet.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=dust ... 6389946733

Yeah I guess they'd work ok, not sure how well they vent.....haven't seen one in the flesh.

Yes the cheaper models will probably get you going and give you a learning curve but a Weber WSM will last you a lifetime.....like the old saying....you get what you pay for!!

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
gnol

Post by gnol »

Just buy one of everything.
A second hand weber kettle would be a good start.

peersy

Post by peersy »

gnol wrote:Just buy one of everything.
A second hand weber kettle would be a good start.

Wow that's a ripper set-up right there.
Yeah I've been looking for a second hand kettle. There is a lot of rubbish out there going for silly money. When the good ones become available they are $80-150 for anything up to 20 years old... All the die hard kettle fans seem to whisk the second hand ones quick to build their army.
I'll keep looking

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

gnol

Post by gnol »

Yeah. You just have to keep looking around. Even a Weber compact will do just about everything a normal sized Weber will do.
Seems prices have gone up a lot compared to a few years back. I got rid of a few as I had too many.
Kenneth237

Post by Kenneth237 »

Hi Guys

Dusty Moose arrived today and I have put it together.
I'll ease my way in with a couple of chooks just to get used to temperature control.

Interesting that it only has one vent at the bottom as opposed to WSM x 3.

Also the Bunnings one come with a hanging rack built into the lid and might be a mod later.

Funny this is my first smoker and I have no idea how to use.
Google WSM and there is a ton of info.

Cheers