Hi to all from North Queensland newbie

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
Chunkylad

Hi to all from North Queensland newbie

Post by Chunkylad »

G'day all

Greetings from sunny NQ.
I have BBQing for many years, mainly on gas grills.

My boss recently bought his wife (!) an electric pellet smoker for her birthday, and shared some of their leftover brisket with us staff.

That was it. Instantly hooked. I have been educating myself for the past two months about smokers and all things smoking. I had wanted a straight Webber charcoal grill to compliment my four burner Matchbox barbecue, but now it's got to be a smoker :D

Thanks for hosting an Aussie forum to share our thoughts and experiences. I'm looking forward to participating

Dave
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Hi to all from North Queensland newbie

Post by Davo »

Welcome Dave from Davo :D

Yes once you've tasted meat from a Pellet smoker, its something else.
I had one of the early Traeger pellet smokers, incidently the Traeger guy invented them but since then, many other brands and models have appeared on the scene.
Pellet smokers really sent this forum into a spin in more ways than one.
Anyway, apart from Trager Pellet grills you've also have GMG (Green Mtn Grills) with or without Wifi capability and have a high peaked lid to deal with large meats or stand up chicken.
Then you have Yoder Pellet grills that are aimed more for the Competition scene but many have bought them for backyard use too.
Then a recent arrival is Louisiana pellet grills. I have a mate that has one and he loves it.

Each has their own little differences but pretty much do the same thing but you need to have access to electricity as its needed to power the thermostat and fans.

When i had mine, woodpellets weren't common but now theres a huge selection for around $30 per 9kilo bag with many different flavour profiles.

All but the Yoder are Chinese manufactured whereas Yoder is American made but all are American brands.
Yoders are premium priced compated to the others due to be made in the USA.
Most brands but Yoder can be bought for around $1,700 for the larger sizes and less for the smaller models.

So...i guess you can do your own research using the brand names i just mentioned and who sells them.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5