Newbie from the West

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
Glenm64

Newbie from the West

Post by Glenm64 »

Hi all.
Im from south of Perth, and believe it or not, love bbqing and camp fire cooking.
Ive got a Turbo Elite built in bbq, a 40year old weber(was my old mans) and today grabbed an Akorn Kamado being cleared on sale cheap.
We also love outback remote travel, so the camp oven gets a work out, and if there fire bans a Weber baby Q is back up.
Been lurking as a guest a bit, always looking to learn new techniques. Attached is a shot of my backyard cooking set up. Breaking in the Akorn with 5hr smoked low and slow ribs. Still another 1hr to go, so while Im drooling over the smell I thought Id introduce myself. Even though its a budget Kamado oven, the Akorm has surprised me how well it holds a low heat(110 for the ribs today). I really struggled with the Weber to hold a constant low temperature, so now Ive got the Akorn I will donate the old Weber to son #1. Its becoming a family heirloom now, and for its age it will still go another 10 if kept out of the elements.
Anyway, enough about me, hi to all, and looking forward to learning from the pro's.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

paulr
Forum Administrator

Re: Newbie from the West

Post by paulr »

Welcome to the forum, looks like a great setup!!
How is the akorn going? I have a Komodo Kamado, but its a bit big is you just want to have a couple of steaks....

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Glenm64

Post by Glenm64 »

Just devoured some great ribs. Very happy with the first up result.

mymonaro

Post by mymonaro »

Welcome Glenm64 to the forum. You have a nice set up and whatsmore it looks very clean. I am impressed.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Good looking ribs. Well done for the first cook. I noticed the Akorn didn't have the bottom tray holding the legs together at the bottom. Was it missing?

Glenm64

Post by Glenm64 »

Well there you go, didnt even know it had a tray. I might go and milk it. Ask for a reduction in the price I paid.
Cheers for that!

Gurilla

Post by Gurilla »

How much did you pay for the Akorn?

I was at ellenbrook bunnings the other week and they have them but think it was $499? And they also have a ceramic Komado at bunnings now too $799 I think ?
Black Q 3200
Glenm64

Post by Glenm64 »

Mandurah cleared theirs at $300. Had them sitting on a pallet at the front.
And yes there was a tray. It was under the bottom foam packing. When all else fails read the instructions.

Gurilla

Post by Gurilla »

Damn that’s a good price !

Bunnings don’t do clearences unless it’s discontinued. :/ so hopefully was just that store then as I would like to get one in the future !
Black Q 3200
Glenm64

Post by Glenm64 »

Bird working there told me they were clearing them.
I had a look on their web site, they dont list them.