Hello from Sydney

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
DonR

Hello from Sydney

Post by DonR »

Hello everyone,

Merry Christmas and happy new year.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I was inspired to sign up after Santa delivered me a Char-griller ceramic kamado which I'm very excited about and keen to learn to cook on it with the forum's advice and guidance.
http://chargrilleraustralia.com.au/prod ... amado-bbq/

I've had a Weber Kettle for many years and have had plenty of wonderful roasts with it. I've not done a lot of smoking with it but now with a kamado I'm keen to get into it with this unit. First thing I've noticed about it is that it didn't come with a heat deflector plate like I've seen on many low and slow smoking videos on YouTube. Bunnings (where Santa bought it from apparently) and the Char Griller Australia website make no mention of one.

Does anyone know if a deflector plate from another brand would be suitable? The ceramic ring above the firebox that the grate sits on is 470mm in diameter if that helps.

Thanks,

Don
12x7

Re: Hello from Sydney

Post by 12x7 »

The Chargriller is an 18" diameter Kamado made by Auplex who makes lots of Kamados under different brand names.

probably one of these

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Charmate-Kam ... SwYIxX7Lt7

with one of these
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Charmate-Kam ... SwNRdX7Lt7

Will work.

If you would like to buy from from a shop. Try the BBQ Galore and ask for the Kamado Joe Classic Flexible Cooking system.

You need to buy the two half moon deflectors and Flexible Cooking Rack to go with it. The upside with BBQ Galore is that if it doesn't fit you can take it back.

DonR

Post by DonR »

Thanks mate. I'll explore those options.
DonR

Post by DonR »

I popped into BBG and purchased the Kamado Joe Classic flexible rack system and heat deflectors. They were having a 20% off sale so purchased some lump charcoal and a pork rub to try. The rack system fits perfectly with my Bunnings Char-griller ceramic kamado. Thanks for the tip 12x7.
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

DonR wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:45 pm I popped into BBG and purchased the Kamado Joe Classic flexible rack system and heat deflectors. They were having a 20% off sale so purchased some lump charcoal and a pork rub to try. The rack system fits perfectly with my Bunnings Char-griller ceramic kamado. Thanks for the tip 12x7.
Glad to help.

Some things to add to your accessories in the future to your KJ rack system from BBQG:
* Grill extender
* Two half moon grills

This will mean you will have three grill layers to cook on.

eg at the bottom you could have a drip tray that doesn't sit on the deflector. Or you could use it as a cooking layer. Middle, vegies. Top layer you could put a chicken or roast. The top layers baste the bottom layers.

If you are looking for some cheaper charcoal in the future, try

Emberpak: www.emberpak.com. You can pick-up from their warehouse or get it couriered to your door. Huge range of charcoal.
Firebrand: firebrandbbq.com.au. Their list price is a bit expensive. Wait for their specials. Their courier prices in Sydney are pretty good. You can pick-up as well.
Bunnings: Heat Beads Lump Charcoal. 20KG bag @$40. Bunnings seems to be not stocking Heat Beads products recently but this is not a bad price if you can find it.

The type of charcoal can make a big difference to your cook as eat has a different smoke flavour and heat characteristic.

Don't worry if sometimes the cook goes a bit astray as you experiment. It is a part of the adventure.

A Kamado for Christmas is one awesome present. Have fun :)