a quick Hi to all

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
masada

a quick Hi to all

Post by masada »

Hi all
I have just joined the forum and am keen for the sagely advice I can get from the experienced and dedicated slow cookers on this forum. I got here through US youtube pages who reference this forum as the source of their inspiration and knowledge... so well done all!

I was up early today at 5:00am to get a 3.5kg pork shoulder on for a slow cook on a weber with heat beads. Looking forward to pulled pork this evening :lol:

regards
masada
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: a quick Hi to all

Post by Davo »

Hi & Welcome Masada,

we've found that for something like your pork shoulder, you might want to try the snake method, gives you an even low & slow burn ....the snake has become famous in Australia due to this forum for the Weber Kettles.

https://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/viewto ... od#p155976

Give it a try and tell us how you went...allow plenty of time though...it could take up to 10 hours at 225F (106C) but it should shred like butter.

Take the pork to an internal temp of around 90C then wrap it for an hour in foil, then some newspaer or old towels and put it somewhere like a dry esky or your oven.

If you don't want it to be like pulled pork, then take it up to internal 70-75C and wrap it for half hour. It should slice beautifully.

Merry Xmas.....hope it's a blast!!

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
masada

Post by masada »

Thanks Davo
yes I am actually using the snake method in my old weber kettle today. Two weeks ago was my first attempt with the snake and a 4.5kg brisket, today its the pork shoulder. My problem is trying to manage the vent air flow to keep the temp in the range of 225-250 without putting the coals out altogether! I have taken some hot coals out in addition to nearly closing off all vents both underneath and on the lid.

regards
masada
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

I always put the bottom vents on about 20% open to limit the air getting to the coals and the top vent wide open, works for me. If you find that it won't get to 225F then open bottom to 50% untill it does.
Plave an empty foil tray on charcoal grate under where the meat will be and a smaller tray of water over where the fire is...that way it's easier to move around as fire burns around and refill if needed....this is you heat sink and chamber moisturiser all in one.

Good luck mate...hope it goes well...just take your time, sit back with a few beers and relax :)
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5