Hi from the west of Melb

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
gourmetgalaxy

Hi from the west of Melb

Post by gourmetgalaxy »

Hi,
New here wishing to plunge into charcoal cooking style.
Need some ideas on the easiest bbq to get started with and the best method of how to cook.
So many suggestions I see around the forums it is hard to decide on the best way to get going.
Don't want to spenda fortune first up if it can be done.
Thank you for any suggestions.
G.G.
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Hi from the west of Melb

Post by Davo »

Hi & Welcome GG,

Well what i suggest to most people wanting to experiment with charcoal is the good ol' Weber Kettle.....you just can't go past these simple BBQs for good wholesome outdoor cooking. There's just so many ways you can manipulate the fire to get the results you desire.
Previously many new members tried to find a good used kettle but theres seems to be a demand and many enthusiasts are hording them so my suggestion is for under $500, you can buy a brand new one with 10 year warranty and you get an excellent Australian hard cover Kettle cookbook with it (the yanks don't get that at all) it's almost like the bible of Australian BBQ and it'll show you how to set up the coals to get the best results.
A new kettle will last you a lifetime if you look after it and theres so many accessories you can buy for them now as your skill and interest evolves.
For me, the Kettle still reins supreme in just about any method of BBQ you'll ever wish to do and some guys I know have at least 3 kettles set up for different methods of BBQ.

They help you learn methods of fire and heat control, how to use them as a smoker by using the snake method (this is not shown in the book though...it's just a different technique) you can rotiserie on them or use them as a pizza oven...the list is endless.

So a kettle is my suggestion for you to learn about cooking with live fire.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

G'day GG and welcome aboard.
Probably the cheapest way to get into cooking with charcoal is to score yourself a Weber kettle, or a knock off version. Council kerbside cleanups seem to be where you can get one for free, otherwise, check out gumtree, ebay and your local paper for second hand ones.
Once you have a kettle, the world is your oyster. They will cook everything from 'low n slow' to hot and fast, and everything in between. They really are versatile and are easy to master with a few different techniques.

All the best,
Steve

Snap, Davo beat me to it :D
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Sorry Steve..you know I can't help myself when it comes to Weber Kettles :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
gourmetgalaxy

Post by gourmetgalaxy »

okay thanks everyone thus far for your help.
thinking now maybe a gumtree special or perhaps a bunnins cheap knock off to get going.??
Don't want to spend a lot as yet as i need to experiment and try to master the charcoal cooking way.
Would the cheapy still be a reasonable place to start i wonder.
G.G.
Lovey
Forum Moderator

Post by Lovey »

The cheapie option should be fine. The biggest difference between a Weber kettle and a knock off would be the quality of the materials and construction, and the longevity. What have you got to lose, apart from $90 (kettle, heat beads and fire lighters)? It might be the start of an inspiring journey for you. 8)
Charstone1

Post by Charstone1 »

Welcome GG - check out the BBQ pit boys on Youtube. You'll get ideas and confidence to cook on a Weber (what they use mostly). Can't beat the kettle!
You will love the journey....
gourmetgalaxy

Post by gourmetgalaxy »

Yep will do charstone,
Thanks