Hello from SE QLD

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
Jimmyj

Hello from SE QLD

Post by Jimmyj »

Just want to say Hello from Mount Warren Park, I currently own a Dragon Kamado, Dragon Hibachi and as of a few days ago I came across a Weber 57cm Kettle in good condition on the side of the road waiting for the Council Clean up, the only thing I have to do is sand and re-varnish the wooden handles. The reason why I joined this forum is to gain more knowledge on cooking with charcoal and gaining experience. I have done some cooks with the Kamado involving Baking bread, Roasts and Pizzas, and with the Hibachi some Korean style cooking. As I said before I need to gain more knowledge. And yes I have a gas BBQ and thats for Bacon and Eggs for some Sundays. Thanking you all in advance
Happy Cooking
Jim
Dragon Kamado, Weber Kettle free from the side of the road, Lodge Sportsman Grill and a Gasser for Bacon and Eggs
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Hello from SE QLD

Post by Davo »

Hi & Welcome JimmyJ,

Sounds like you've got a pretty good cooking kit there Jimmy.

Charcoal cooking takes a little getting used to primarily because, unlike gas, there's many more things to consider like how much charcoal to use for what heat you want, using heatbeads compared to lump charcoal.
Most new users and even very experienced users like using heat Beads briquettes due to their consistency, especially when doing low n slow because they last a fair while, they are consistent with their heat due to their uniform shape whereas lump charcoal comes from natural woods and depending on the wood type, density and size which is very non uniform in shape, you will get a lot of variation in heat/ long lasting performance.
Charcoal from say redgum burns very hot but doesn't last very long, but charcaol from Mallee root or gidgee, burns slower and lasts a lot longer. Many also favour ironbark. Different charcoals will have different flavours that will adhere to the meat.
With heatbeads though, they are a neutral heat source but you can add wood chunks of any hardwoods to get the flavour characteristics from that wood. Woods from fruit trees like apple, cherry, peach are very much favoured for doing light meats like chicken and pork but woods like the american mesquite & hickory is good for beef and game.

You probably have some insight to this already if you own a Komado type cooker as they are recommended to be used with charcoal only, not heatbeads.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Jimmyj

Re: Hello from SE QLD

Post by Jimmyj »

Davo
Thanks for the info about the charcoal types I may have to experiment with the different types, the only charcoal I use is the Heat Beads charcoal from Bunnings as it is convenient and cheap, less than $2.00/kilo and a bag lasts about 4 months.

All I can say at the moment is "Let the Adventure Begin"

Jim
Dragon Kamado, Weber Kettle free from the side of the road, Lodge Sportsman Grill and a Gasser for Bacon and Eggs