Newbie from Sydney

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
Charstone1

Newbie from Sydney

Post by Charstone1 »

Hi to all - long term Weber kettle user, getting more adventurous with low & slow, smoking, minion and snake method. Eyes on a WSM once the budget can cope, and ambition to include it in an outdoor kitchen build.
I have a couple of old faithful hooded gas grills, but I find I’m using less gas, more charcoal these days. After years of using the beads I’m enjoying trying different lump charcoals - using the ProSmoke stuff at the moment.
The cast iron ‘roasting dish’ on my Cordon Bleu has become a small but excellent direct grill charcoal bed for doing steaks and kebabs.

Latest toy is the Weber rotisserie which gives brilliant charcoal chicken.

I’m looking forward to learning more from the collective wisdom around here!

Cheers
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Newbie from Sydney

Post by Davo »

Hi & Welcome Charstone,

Yeah live fire cooking can certainly drag you in.....Weber kettles are definately on the hotlist of cookers to own, actually I think they are more popular today than they were when introduced in the 70's.

I've been an avid user of the heatbeads brand of briquettes for many years due to their consistency but back then there wasn't much in the way of lump charcoal availability but today it's a whole different story and the make matters better, the best stuff is Aussie grown and made, no longer do we have to put up with over priced imported product so like yourself, I'll be doing more with lump than ever before.

Charcoal from Gidgee, Malley root, iron bark and redgum is supposed to be real good and it's all from Australian timbers and we all know how Aussie timber goes off in a bush fire eh :lol:

WSM's are really good smokers, in fact, I only just sold my old one on ebay this weekend....sorry you missed out but keep your eyes open and you might just find a good used one. However with all good equipment, whilst not cheap, they are a fantastic investment as their build quality is 2nd to none.

Have you gone and checked out the new Weber shop in Moore Park Super Centre yet...I did today and i'm glad I did...wow...it's Weber Only so there's no distractions :P The store is actually owned by Weber, it's not a franchise, agent or anything.

Yeah I go on like a Weber Fan boy ....that's because I am, I know quality when i buy it....no appologies offered :mrgreen:

So yeah, wealth of info here, 8 years worth so have a good look around.....any questions....start posting :D

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Charstone1

Re: Newbie from Sydney

Post by Charstone1 »

Thanks for the welcome Davo - haven't been to Moore Pk yet, thanks for the tip. No apologies needed, Weber make great gear. Family and friends get excited when they hear the coals will be firing at my place.