Newbie smoker in Melbourne

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
smokeykippen

Newbie smoker in Melbourne

Post by smokeykippen »

Hi everyone,

I've been a happy owner of a Weber BabyQ for quite a few years, but have just bitten the bullet and decided to start using a charcoal smoker. Ive just fired up my new Fornetto Razzo 18 for the first time this morning (other than a few hours of dry burn to season it last week) and have popped a few Kg of beef short ribs (separated into single ribs).

So far, not going too badly although I'm having to spend a fair bit of time doing minuscule adjustments to keep temps within 107-115C (tending to the hot side e.g. 120c - hopefully that's not going to stuff them up too badly).

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi to everyone and hopefully will post some pics of the results later today. (Not sure how to yet
C.B & S.

Re: Newbie smoker in Melbourne

Post by C.B & S. »

Welcome SmokeyK,
Good luck with your cook up, although not my specialty you will find some excellent info here and I am sure some of the members with the experience will jump on board with some expert advice.
Sounds like you are on track with your cook imo, so best of luck.
Hope you manage to get some picts up....something I can't do. :shock: :oops:
"Keeping Smoking Simple" (c)
Aldi Smoker. Camp Chef 18" Smoke Vault/ Masterbuilt Thermo-Temp XL--( All Gas )
Z & B 4 burner Turbo Classic
Maverick ET-7/72.Thermoworx Smoke
Yoder Kingsman & Other BBQ gear for HIRE.

lockyer

Post by lockyer »

smokeykippen wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:55 pm Hi everyone,

I've been a happy owner of a Weber BabyQ for quite a few years, but have just bitten the bullet and decided to start using a charcoal smoker. Ive just fired up my new Fornetto Razzo 18 for the first time this morning (other than a few hours of dry burn to season it last week) and have popped a few Kg of beef short ribs (separated into single ribs).

So far, not going too badly although I'm having to spend a fair bit of time doing minuscule adjustments to keep temps within 107-115C (tending to the hot side e.g. 120c - hopefully that's not going to stuff them up too badly).

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi to everyone and hopefully will post some pics of the results later today. (Not sure how to yet
Welcome SK

Mate dont sweat it with the temps as long as they dont go up or down by heaps you will be fine. Are you using any temperature probes with the meat or internal temp of the smoker ? As you will find it is a lot easier to use with at least 1 probe in the meat to know how it is cooking, but being beef you should not have any problems.
Cheers L
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Hello & welcome smokeykippen,

Yeah as Lockyer stated, don't sweat the small variations in temp, anything around the 120C is fine and won't make a whole lotta difference.
Beef ribs being quite fatty, will stay moist throughout the cooking at those temps and when you can push a skewer into the meat without any resistance, they are ready.
In my experience beef ad even pork ribs are done in around 6 hours give or take an hour.
I have a WSM (the original bullet smoker)which is similar to your Fornetto so am quite familiar with the set up and how long it takes.
Just sit back, sip on a few coldies and enjoy the process.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
smokeykippen

Post by smokeykippen »

Thanks C.B&S

Yep, 3 hrs in and temps have been really stable for the last 2. It's smelling really good. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C.B & S.

Post by C.B & S. »

Hey SmokeyK,
Well done, great pictures hope you enjoy the end result. As I said I thought you were heading in the right direction with the cook.
Hope to see you posting some more of your results.
Cheers,
Russell.
"Keeping Smoking Simple" (c)
Aldi Smoker. Camp Chef 18" Smoke Vault/ Masterbuilt Thermo-Temp XL--( All Gas )
Z & B 4 burner Turbo Classic
Maverick ET-7/72.Thermoworx Smoke
Yoder Kingsman & Other BBQ gear for HIRE.

smokeykippen

Post by smokeykippen »

lockyer wrote:
smokeykippen wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:55 pm Hi everyone,

Welcome SK

Mate dont sweat it with the temps as long as they dont go up or down by heaps you will be fine. Are you using any temperature probes with the meat or internal temp of the smoker ? As you will find it is a lot easier to use with at least 1 probe in the meat to know how it is cooking, but being beef you should not have any problems.
Cheers L

smokeykippen

Post by smokeykippen »

I'm using a grill probe for temps but haven't used anything for internal meat temps. Actually had to pass cords through a gap in the side doors as the thermometer holes on the Razzo are too small to fit the probes through.

Took ribs out after 4.5 hrs and basted them in a homemade BBQ sauce. Gonna start checking after 2 hrs in the foil.

smokeykippen

Post by smokeykippen »

lockyer

Post by lockyer »

They look mouth watering....well done.
Cheers L
smokeykippen

Post by smokeykippen »

smokeykippen

Post by smokeykippen »

OMG! I'm pretty happy with this.

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

WOW.....Look at that smoke ring :o

looks awesome....all of a sudden i'm hungry again :P
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
smokeykippen

Post by smokeykippen »

Thanks for the encouragement today guys. Overall it was an excellent intro to charcoal smoking. The results were delicious and I've got to say the Fornetto performed really well (even while being piloted by a complete novice!). Can't wait for the next smoke-up.