New smoker

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
Bundy77

New smoker

Post by Bundy77 »

G'day

Long time griller first time smoker

Just picked myself up a fornetto 18" and am smoking my first brisket.

Look forward to picking up some good tips from you people as it appears a bit of trial and error maybe involved.

Cheers

Alby
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: New smoker

Post by Davo »

Hi Alby,

On the highly unlikely chance that you are the REAL Alby Mangels or a fan using his name,If the latter, I'm not entirely sure it's a good thing to use a famous Person's name on the off chance the name will be googled somewhere and led to this forum.
It's Happened before with a poem i put up on the forum many years ago and a relative of the Author tracked me down through this very forum and threatened legal action if I didn't take a poem off the forum. I'm not sure if there's any trademarks or Copyrites with Alby's name on it and through the series of adventure documentaries he has done.
If you wish for me to change you to a different user name, I'm happy to do so.

Otherwise welcome to the forum :D

Regards

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Bundy77

New smoker

Post by Bundy77 »

Davo wrote:Hi Alby,

On the highly unlikely chance that you are the REAL Alby Mangels or a fan using his name,If the latter, I'm not entirely sure it's a good thing to use a famous Person's name on the off chance the name will be googled somewhere and led to this forum.
It's Happened before with a poem i put up on the forum many years ago and a relative of the Author tracked me down through this very forum and threatened legal action if I didn't take a poem off the forum. I'm not sure if there's any trademarks or Copyrites with Alby's name on it and through the series of adventure documentaries he has done.
If you wish for me to change you to a different user name, I'm happy to do so.

Otherwise welcome to the forum :D

Regards

Davo
No worries Davo, how about Bundy77 ?
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Yep...Bundy77 sounds awesome.....thanks for your understanding about user names.
Ok I'll get back to you very soon after I've done the tinkering :)

EDIT: Bundy77 is your new username....I'm sure you're able to use your password with the changes...if any issues with signing in, email Davo on brumby33@yahoo.com.au

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Ok now we have the names sorted :D we'll talk about smokers and brisket....

Now I must confess I'm not an expert on brisket but to smoke one, pending size and if it's point, flat or combined, you need to take it to an internal temp of around 203F or around 93C then take off the BBQ , wrapp up with either foil or large sheets of butchers paper (I use 2 layers of foil, place in dry esky and wrap with newspaper which is a good insulator, even after 4 hours like this, it's still too hot to pull apart with the fingers.)
Anyway as we don't pull briskets apart like pulled pork, you slice against the grain....this could be a little tricky as grain runs all over the place, at least in 3 directions.
Anyway, i'm not sure about the internals of a Fornetto but I'm assuming it's very similar in design as the ProQ and WSM, so you'll need to do a minion method cook-up which means you fill up your charcoal grate till it's about 80-90% full of UNLIT coals, then about 15-to 25 lit coals placed directly on top of those unlit so the fire actually burns down rather than up....this was a technique started by an American Pitmaster call Jim Minion (hence the Minion method) so that he could get a longer burn out of his WSM during competition cook-ups.

The method I mentioned should give you about 12 plus hours of slow temp burn without replenishing. You need to aim for 215F pit temp on the BBQ....use hot water in the pan and check every 4 hours and top up if necessary.

Trim the brisket of fat till it's about only 1/4 inch thick, apply rub....pending on the rub you're going to use, if commercial rub then apply straight on after a quick wipedown with some white vinegar, helps the rub stay on the meat, if doing your own rub, rub lightly with salt first, wait for about 20-30 minutes till you see juices coming out of the meat surface then using that wetness of it's own juice, apply the rest of the rub on the meat....the salt should eventually pull some of the rub flavour back into the meat...sort of like an osmosis affect.

Let us know how you go...we like pics around here....you know what they say...no pics...didn't happen.

You can use Tapatalk to load pics or use the forums attachments section below (you only see this when your writing a post) if it comes as too big a file, you may have to resize photo.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Bundy, if you like brisket. Try chuck. It is cheaper, taste just as good and easier to cook.
the dane

Post by the dane »

12x7 wrote:Bundy, if you like brisket. Try chuck. It is cheaper, taste just as good and easier to cook.
Sounds good might try this monday

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Yup I've done a couple of briskets myself (11h-15h cooks)
Deliccious!
Looks similar to a WSM (I think Davo has mine???) great smoker... How many trays do you have in it?

Yup happy to share experiences... BTW my butcher will cut me a brisket (but sometimes you get mainly the flat which is a bit diff than the whole brisket). So make sure your butchers understands which piece you want.

Regards, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Bundy77

Post by Bundy77 »

Thanks for advice on brisket gents, I'll definitely use those tips next time

I ended up using a homemade rub of paprika, salt, pepper and sugar.
Took 5.5 hours to get its internal temp to 90c then I took it off. Soaked hickory chips thrown on intermittently gave it a great flavour.

Biggest hassle was getting coals hit enough at the beginning, have now bought a chimney smoker for next smoke session.

Davo
Forum Administrator

Post by Davo »

Looks pretty good Bundy....i really need to get into some more brisket or Chuck smoking this winter....hopefully I'll give it a crack next week.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
paulr
Forum Administrator

Post by paulr »

Yup looks great to me did you get a nice smoke ring (cant tell from the photo)...

Happy BBQ-ing, Paul
http://aussiebbq.info/wp - my blog
https://lifesafeast.com.au/cookingclass ... criptions/ - great cooking classes
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
12x7

New smoker

Post by 12x7 »

Great work! I bet that lot didn't last long with the hungry hoardes.