Hi from Adelaide - Wanting to learn smoking

We welcome new members and encourage your participation in this forum . Please post a message here to introduce yourselves.
hoffy

Hi from Adelaide - Wanting to learn smoking

Post by hoffy »

Just thought I would pop in and say hi!

I'm from Adelaide's Southern Suburbs. I (or more the the point, my wife and I) have been your typical back yard BBQers for a while, including roasts first in a kettle and then a Weber Q. As a matter of fact, 90% of all our meat is now cooked outside on the Q.

After watching a bit too much Pit Masters on Foxtel, we have decided to give smoking a try. Tomorrow morning, I'll be setting my first smoke cook off, doing a 2KG Pork Scotch in the Kettle, (hopefully) low and slow, using the snake method (I'll post a thread elsewhere, so hopefully I can get some pointers!).

Anyhow, Hi and thanks for having me!

Cheers
Davo
Forum Administrator

Re: Hi from Adelaide - Wanting to learn smoking

Post by Davo »

Hi & welcome Hoffy,

Yep...the snake is a great method in a kettle providing you with just the right amount of heat and space for the food.

Just ensure all charcoal peices are touching each other so there'll be no missing link.

If you get temp spikes in the kettle, just place a small foil pan of cold water over where the fire is currently burning so as to act like a heat sink.

Good luck....hope to see the end results.

Cheers

Davo
Moderator/ Admin

Weber Q320
Weber Performer Kettle
Weber WSM 18.5
hoffy

Post by hoffy »

Thanks for the welcome!
12x7

Post by 12x7 »

Here's a real handy charcoal set-up guide to get you going with your kettle

BBQ Pit Boys
http://bbqpitboys.com/

These guys use kettles a lot to cook on.